This is one of the things I have reservations about
when I take a look at Spiral Dynamics.  Europe and the
US are supposedly the most evolved nations on earth,
but then, how come you can feel the fatigue and the
heavy depression in the air the minute you hit a
Stateside airport?  In China you get hit by a wave of
energy and hope, by contrast, and in India it's love
and easygoing friendliness.

And yeah, conspiracy theory is better than spy flicks.
 I like knowing what's really going on, and I learned
early (because I went to high school in three
different countries) that the official story that
folks in a country learn in history classes and
through the media is not really the truth.  It's
obvious because the story is not the same in different
cultures.  So then, you naturally begin to ask, well,
why the differences and what is really going on behind
those official stories?  The reality is vastly more
interesting than the official story and it also makes
a great deal more sense.

I agree with you that the powers that be don't really
want too many of us to be world travelers.  One reason
is precisely the fact that if you travel enough and
really live in different cultures, rather than just
stopping by as a tourist, you begin to transcend the
national psyche of any one place, and then, of course,
you can't as easily be convinced of the notion "my
country right or wrong."  You also stop taking sides.
You love all people equally.