> > > Hey, some of us aren't attached to what is going on. We're just
> > > witnessing it. :D
> >
> > Yeah, right. That's why your posts are full of
> > conspiracy theories.  :-)
> >
> > Traveling to get one's head into a different
> > psychic space is NOT sticking one's head in
> > the sand. It's an exercise in learning what
> > you seem to be denying, that one IS affected
> > by the psychic environment one lives in.
> >
> > Want to find out what that psychic environ-
> > ment is like? Well, you CAN'T from within it.
> > You have to get away for a while, to somewhere
> > very different psychically. While there, prac-
> > tice mindfulness. Then, when you go back home,
> > practice mindfulness there and see how your
> > mindset changes.
> >
> > You'll be surprised.
>
> Hey, I enjoy conspiracy theories like some folks enjoy good spy
> thrillers.  Nothing wrong with that.  However mindfulness is
> also being aware of your surroundings and what is going on it
> and of course attempt to fix things you don't like.  And much
> of what is on the conspiracy sites winds up being mainstream
> news a couple months or so later. Nothing wrong with being
> ahead of the game. Apparently you like Willy think I'm running
> around scared all the time or something.  Man I'm too busy
> watching movies to do that. :D

Whatever floats yer boat, dude. :-) Seriously, I
can kinda get conspiracy theories as entertainment.
That's what I look at them as.

As for movies, here's an exercise in mindfulness
for you, one that you might appreciate given your
love for the Celluloid Goddess. This is actually
one I got from Rama, so take it with a grain of
salt, but I've had really remarkable results with
it, and recommend it highly as a way to gain some
insight into whether or how much your thinking is
influenced by your psychic environment.

Got a movie you really love? I mean *love*, as in
being willing to see it over and over again?

See it in different cities in different parts of
the world. Be mindful each time you see it,
"listening" as it were to the *types* and the
*quality* of the thoughts you are thinking during
the same movie in a different place.

I found it utterly fascinating. The strongest
experience in the contrast between two psychic
environments involved the film American Beauty.
I saw it first in Santa Fe. Everyone in the
theater was transfixed, as was I...high as a
kite. After the film waa over, people milled
around outside the theater, unwilling to leave
it. In the end people walked up to absolute
strangers and asked whether they wanted to go
somewhere for a beer and *talk* about the
movie. We did. Until 2:00 a.m.

In those days I was consulting in another city,
flying from Santa Fe to Detroit on Sunday night
and flying back Thursday night. So a few days
later I found American Beauty playing at the
theater in the town I had an apartment in while
working there, Birmingham. Birmingham is like
a high-rent suburb of Detroit, populated mainly
by auto executives and their trophy wives. It's
a zoo.

Anyway, I saw the theater and remembered Rama's
exercise in moviemindfulness and decided to see
American Beauty again. What a shock. The "shine"
that had gotten us so high watching it in Santa
Fe was completely missing from the same movie
here. It was as if so many people in the audi-
ence were sitting there grinding their teeth
*hating* what they saw onscreen (their own
lives) and wanting it to *go away*, that it
almost DID make it go away, even for me. I sat
there feeling almost as fidgety as the people
around me, enjoying the movie less.

When the film ended there was absolute silence,
as in Santa Fe, but a very different silence.
It lasted only a second, and then the audience
*bolted* for the doors. They just couldn't *wait*
to get out the doors and put this whole movie
experience behind them, forever.

Anyway, I found it a fascinating exercise in
watching the effect that a psychic environment
can have on me. And I continue to. I have watched
American Beauty in probably 10 different cities
since then, and it's a different experience
every time, quantitatively different than watch-
ing it over and over at home, which I've also
done. Hey, I like the movie.

> So apparently your compadres in Europe are back to where they
> are in the 1930s?  Ignoring Hitler, ignoring Mussolini.

No, I really don't think it's that. In my exper-
ience in Europe with the Dutch, the French, and
now the Catalunyans, they are usually far more
aware of world events than Americans. And they
are concerned when they need to be, and do some-
thing about it when something needs to be done.

But that doesn't take all that much *time*, man.
Americans think about gnarly shit for much of
their day! Many of the Europeans I have inter-
acted with don't. They think about the gnarly
political stuff only as long as they need to,
and then enjoy the rest of their day. They
don't allow the existence of terrorism and
the Bushes of the world to suck their attention
and make them think about them all the time.

> We can't afford to ignore
> Bush and his cronies.  And I have fun poking fun at them.  :D
>
> And besides you are residing in a vacation resort. Of course
> folks visiting there are trying to get away from it all!

And leaving their closets at home when they go. :-)

Really...it is a real TRIP living in one of the
gayest small towns in Europe. It's like living
in the Castro District. That and its history as
kind of an outlaw town tend to bring a certain
lightness and joie de vivre to the psychic
environment here.

And you could look at it as a running-away-from-
reality kinda lightness, but the damned thing is,
it WORKS here. During the Franco era Sitges was a
refuge for artists and dissidents of all sorts.
Elsewhere in Spain they would have been executed
by Franco for believing the things they believed
and doing the things they did. No shit. So they
beat feet for Sitges, which had a vibe of being
"under the radar" since its pirate days, and it
WORKED. Some of these politically or sexually
incorrect rebels lasted forty years here under
Franco's radar. And they survived.

So don't knock beach resorts. They're under the
radar.  :-)