--- In [email protected], "curtisdeltablues" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > > The more I read quotes like these from Guru Dev, the more convinced I > am that he was just another super religious guy who preached a bunch > of beliefs. Another "I know the truth about God and you don't", Jerry > Falwell in a robe. > > His grandiose put down of "worldly" people's ability for happiness is > another indication of his lack of understanding of anyone who isn't as > interested in religion as himself. Calling someone else's happiness > "relative" happiness is such a crock. <snip>
Lol-- I really enjoy your kill the buddha take on Guru Dev-- similar to a conversation I was having about "God" with someone yesterday. When I read GD's speech that dorflex quoted, I recognize that it is difficult to get the overall context (time, place, audience, etc.), but basically what I hear him saying is that to go for the highest values we can, ultimately provides the most lasting happiness (and Guru Dev refers to the embodiment of these values as "God"). All he is really doing is describing whatever wisdom he has gained from his own experience and passing it on. And his view is definitely colored by spending most of his life as a recluse. It was MMY's job, in hindsight, to find a key for us out in the world to find that same happiness -- yogastah kuru karmani and all that. I don't find his speech as antagonistic towards those in the world as you do-- differences in our respective universe I suspect...;-)
