 From: "jr_...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, October 20, 2014 1:59 AM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Belief in God is a form of mental illness

Xeno,

I have asked Curtis about his support or evidence for disagreeing with the
statements in the Kalam Cosmological Argument.  But he just gave me a lot of
song and dance about his opinions without providing the evidence for his
arguments.  Can you give us a solid argument with evidence and support why the
statements in the KCA have a flaw?

Let's take the KCA which states:

        1. Everything that begins to exist has a cause;
        2. The universe began to exist;
Therefore:
        3. The universe has a cause.
Do you agree with statement 1 or not?  If not, please give us your reasons for
disagreeing.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <anartaxius@...> wrote :

Logical arguments about ultimates always contain a flaw. You can reverse the
form of the argument to support atheism and if you do not see the flaw, it will
seem equally valid, that is, that atheism is true. Now there are some atheists
who definitely believe there is no god and they can be as fanatical as a
fundamentalist religionist. Probably they would have no sense of humour about
their condition. But a real atheist simply lacks a particular kind of belief
because that belief seems neither reasonable or likely. They basically just do
not care. Barry is just testing memes to see what happens when they are
activated. We all have memes which are basically little snippets of mental
routines our minds use. We trade them with each other, but for the most part
these mental stances are just our opinions about the world around us and we
tend to be be rather uncritical as to how well they really represent what is
real, while at the same time taking them as
 reality itself.

Take the TMO memes. On FFL, meditators and former meditators all at one time
believed certain things about experience were at least possible, for example,
that if you practice TM, which is not a religion, you will find God. The TMO
memes specify that we are in a state of ignorance, not knowing the nature of
reality. But were we actually in the state of ignorance, we would not have the
capability to correctly evaluate what we were told because we would be using
delusional thinking to evaluate ideas such as transcendence, states of
consciousness and so forth, so our following this system of thought about
reality would essentially be an act of insanity, that is, mental illness. The
system defines us as in some way incapacitated in knowing what is real, and
then expects us to just jump in, and accept what the system says is real.

A discussion of the Kalam argument:

Cosmological Kalamity

   Cosmological Kalamity
"Daddy, if God made everything, who made God?" my daughter Kristi asked me,
when she was five years old.
View on infidels.org    Preview by Yahoo

Barry,

Have you ever thought that atheism is also a belief-- and an unreasonable one
at that?  The Kalam Cosmological Argument should dispel any of your doubts.

        • [F... anartax...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
        • [F... awoelfleba...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
      • [Fairf... anartax...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
        • [F... jr_...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]