--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "hyperbolicgeometry"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ---Effortless or not (nothing in the world is "absolutely" effortless
> btw);

Yes.

> the key point is Transcendental awareness. If it (pure
> Consciousness, Self-awareness), occurs for you regardless of the
> amount of effort, excellent.

Yes.

>  Having exposed the primary goal, the question of effort is important
> in distinguishing TM from other traditional forms of meditation which
> require forced attention on the mantra.
>  The fact that something - a method - is effortless is not necessarily
> "good" unless it fulfills an objective: here, Transcendental
> Consciousness.  Countless endeavors are nearly effortless but don't
> produce the results in question.

I agree. Actually, I was just trying to poke some fun on the 'walking
meditation' supposedly more effortless than TM according to some here.
(wonder though if this is true for overweight people;-).
And the confusion regarding meditation with props (like Vaj's thesis
that only objectless meditations could be truely effortless),
effortlessness, and intention. Any meditation technique, by
definition, uses some kind of induction, some instruction to follow.

Compare that to sleep:
Is there a difference between unintentional sleep (e.g. during
meditation or TV), intentional sleep (going to bed), sleep with props
(like a pillowcase), and 'canned' sleep (when you count sheep to sleep
in, or follow a ritual like using a prayer)? If you follow Vacs
argumentation, there should be a big difference in all these forms.

I also don't see, why classical mindfulness, not using a prop
(mantra), would be therefore more effortless. After all focusing ones
attention, be it on the breath, ones environment (the moment), ones
activity, or ones internal thought-processes, is just an induced
activity as well, otherwise there would be no need for instruction or
a retreat to learn it, it would be just a spontaneaus occurance. So,
IMO, TM being an induced form of meditation, using props (mantra)
could be just as effortless, while mindfullness, not using props,
could still be with effort. Using props or not, has nothing to do with
effort, just in the same way as using a pillow-case or not, has
nothing to do with the spontaneity of sleep.