<snip>
> And yet another comment from Dana:
>
>  > I also find the great strengths that exist in other
organizations.
> But
>  >this thing, of our experiencing "live mantrah", something that
> exists on
>  >its own, deep within self, that something which moves self into
> Self, is
>  >that thing which makes TM so very precious.
>
> This is not a unique quality of TM. It exists in all formal,
Tantric
> Hindu and Buddhist traditions. There is no aspect of TM practice
that is
> not common in these traditions (as I mentioned before, the only
change
> I've seen is in how drifting from the mantra is interpreted. In
TM, it's
> attributed to unstressing; in the mainline traditions it's
attributed to
> lack of success. In both cases the instruction is the same -
 "return to
> the mantra once you realize you're off of it."

Huge, huge difference here. With the ignorant instruction,
attributing being off the mantra to 'lack of success' drives the
mind to concentrate, and thereby remain on the surface of the mind,
encouraging the validity of the small self.

With the correct or enlightened instruction, we know that for the
mind to drift off the mantra is natural and not to be concerned
about it.

No wonder the traditionalists in India and other Eastern areas have
supposed low regard for this type of meditation-- it hasn't been
taught correctly for generations!

Geez, it doesn't take a rocket scientist! What is Dana smoking
anyway?!

> The sooner that TMers face the fact that there is nothing amazing
or
> unusual about their practice (and time spent exploring the
mainline
> Hindu
> traditions points this up) the sooner they'll understand why even
> after 35
> years of regular meditation they still aren't enlightened.

who isn't enlightened?

There is no
> magic technique. Maharishi was able to convince Westerners that
there
> was
> simply because young Westerners didn't know better. TM is relaxing
and
> relaxing is nice. All these years of practice by Westerners proves
that
> TM isn't the magic pill we once thought it was. And if it was, then
> Asians already practicing it would have been enlightened long ago.

...and if the instruction was correct, they would have been
enlightened long ago. Unfortunately Guru Dev has just brought this
out relatively recently, so those focused on the stuffy and warped
traditions of the past just...don't...get...it...