On Jul 21, 2006, at 10:48 PM, sparaig wrote:

On Jul 21, 2006, at 8:40 PM, Vaj wrote:

On Jul 21, 2006, at 7:29 PM, authfriend wrote:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajranatha@> wrote:

On Jul 21, 2006, at 3:30 PM, Paul Mason wrote:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>

wrote:

I've never heard anything other than that.  I never

heard that Guru Dev himself gave MMY the technique.

 On 8th July 1971 in Amherst, U.S.A., Maharishi Mahesh Yogi made

the

following statement which contradicts the assumption that he never

claimed the TM technique came from Guru Dev Shankaracharya Swami

Brahmanand Saraswati.

'But the great impact of Guru Dev, in his lifetime, in bringing

out so

clearly and in such simple words, this technique of TM. And his,

his

blessing for, for this movement which came out much after he left

his

body. Because there was no, no occasion during his lifetime for,

for

any of his intimate blessed disciples to go out of his presence

and

that's why this any such movement to bless the world couldn't have

started during his time'.

As has been repeated here before many times

(Which must make it true...)

, and also verified by

Dana Sawyer in his research with SBS's sect the Dandis

Documentation, please.  On what basis was it "verified"?

You'd have to ask Dana. He's talked to many of these guys. I have

his article on the Dandis and it may mention it simply in passing,

as what they do with householders.

Keep in mind there are teachers in the Shank. tradition who will

realize a certain student is ripe for non-dual meditation and teach

them a method that isn't as dualistic as meditation with an object.

Here's a couple comments from Dana on another list. Interestingly he

finds, as do many who've contacted me during the false idea that TM

was effortless threads, that some effort, even strenuous effort

greatly increase the experience of TC:

why would they learn from MMY what they can learn for free anywhere?

Mantra japa, practiced as TMers do it, is a common practice in India.

As you know, Maharishi taught that effortlessness — the key to

successful

practice — had been lost from general practice. Are you saying, Dana,

that "mantra japa" includes instructions for effortless practice?

In both Hindu and Buddhist traditions there is a long standing tradition

of starting off new meditators with an easy practice. What we did/ do as

TMers is often pitched in Hinduism as the correct process for those who

chant kirtana. While the mantras are being chanted, stay with the

tones -

don't concentrate on a particular tone but keep the mind with the sound.

"What if I wander off?" It's OK, just bring your attention back to the

tones when you realize you've drifted off. I've heard this a hundred

times. By the way, it's the initial instruction for chanting given to

Hare Krishnas. The idea (whether the mantra is spoken out loud or not)

is that the special character of Sanskrit mantras will draw the mind to

the Absolute.

BTW, in Buddhist practice - of both major traditions - concentration is

cultivated. BUT, in recognition of the difficulty of perfect

concentration, they often start students out with mantra repetition

with a

mala. Moving the beads helps keep the mind with the mantra but otherwise

the student is allowed to drift. This is a baby step toward deep

concentration for them. when it's done with breath counting, Tibetans

sometimes tell students to focus only on the inward breath and let the

mind go on the outward breath.

Regarding the piece about needing thoughts during meditation because

they

are the products of stress relief. I've never heard that before. Perhaps

because there is no teaching about "stress release" in Hinduism or

Buddhism. MMY's concept of stress certainly grew out of the need to find

an equivalent term for samskaras - the seeds of karma that promote

action.

In both traditions the notion is that samskaras predispose our views and

behaviors and so perspective on them must be gained. In Buddhism the

idea

is to breath insight and mindfulness into them, to disentangle ourselves

from their influence. In Advaita Hinduism (including TM Hinduism), the

goal is to dissolve them by cultivating a deeper apprehension of

Brahman/

Atman - as you know. Anyway, MMY's idea that thoughts during meditation

are indicative of these samskaras dissolving (rather than simply the

flux

of the unfocused mind) seems to be the original idea. But is it true or

only a rationalization to intice lazy Americans? I wonder.

Or do you contend that effortlessness is superfluous to transcending?

Yes, I'll make that claim - for the fun of exploring it. My

experience is

that it is possible to have the experience of what TMers call samadhi

(TC)

via a technique that uses extreme effort. During years of shammata and

zazen I had more experiences of that sort than I did during my 15

years of

regular TM. On the other hand, I think it is very possible to do TM for

centuries and never experience samadhi. So often I used to go into this

soft, fluffy laya state and just stay there. Effortlessness certainly

doesn't guarantee a samadhi experience, and concentration doesn't

preclude

it. That's my experience.

How do you know you're in samadhi, either via TM or some other technique?

Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs.