> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sinhlnx" <sinhlnx@> wrote:
> >
> > ---(discussion below - TM and other techniques).  Vaj, I've concluded
> > that you were never initiated into TM, otherwise, you wouldn't be so
> > misguided on the contrasts between TM and other techniques.  Please
> > set the record straight: were you or were you not intiated into TM
> > "as taught by MMY".?
>
> Vaj claims he was a *TM teacher*, amazingly enough.

Thanks, yes; and Bill Clinton claims he never had "sex" with Monica
Lewinsky!!...HaHa...possibly, Vaj is using the term "TM" not in the
trademarked sense, but in the broadest categorical perspective: in
generaly, any meditative technique, particular sourced in Buddhist,
Hindu, or tantric traditions; designed to enable the practitioner to
"transcend".  Therefore, any traditional technique including the close
relatives such as Ananda Marga.  But here, the relatives are as close
as humans and spider monkeys.  Do the comparson test, and TM will come
out way ahead.
  Personally, I fail to see how Vaj could possibly be son ignorance
regarding "TM" unless he's defining it braodly as "transcendental
meditation" (the usual traiditonal mantra meditation methods, the vast
majority of which differ from TM - as brought out before, since they
invariably rely on hard concentration.  Most important, do they have
POWER in the mantras. Third, let's look at Vaj's oft repeated
statement that TM is "dualist".
 This was countered by several contributors.  In fact, Vaj's argument
here will backfire since true Transcendence though non-dual doesn't
eradicate thoughts, perceptions, and actions. These entities are
simply Brahman.  Whether something is dual or non-dual depends on the
level of consciousness of the aspirant.
  A so-called "non-dual" technique according to Vaj's Guru, Chogyal
Norbu Rinpoche, simply has no object; but error in this thinking is
the confusion of the "object" (or lack thereof) as a meditative
device, with true NON-DUALITY as the natural state of the universe.
 For example, Vaj's Guru, (Norbu) claims to have received a "terma" or
mind-treasure of a dance called "The Dance of the Vajra", in which the
practitioner listens to a Song (The Song of the Vajra) along with
musical accompanyment, and dances on a mandala inscribed in the
ground..  Well, (duh!)  ....this is dualist. But, regardless of the
technique, the main consideration is it's effectiveness, not whether
there's an "object" there since non-Duality must ultimately be a
function of the practioner's Consciousness and not the class of
activity engaged in.
 Let's take the average beginner.  From Vaj's POV, a "non-dualist"
meditation technique would be superior to TM (since the mantra is
objective).  Not necessarily!!  Having no object at all for beginners
probably would be an excellent technique for having a BLANK MIND. With
TM, one's mind is allowed to transcend duality AND the blank state.
  In addition, Vaj (like Sam Harris, whose Guru is the same person -
Norbu Rinpoche), is a strong poponent of Mindfulness. OK, fine; but
this has a drawback in that it's largely dependent on "retreats" to
generate a level of peace conducive to transcending.
  But we all know that many accounts of transcendence throughout
history involve monks and others in a "retreating" state, perhaps
living in very Sattvic conditions in the Himalayas or China.  This is
great, but TM "as taught by MMY" works anywhere, even in the hustle
and bustle of a noisy traffic-riden City.  Try Mindfulness in Manhattan.
  To conclude, TM has true power in the mantra; which may not be true
to the same extent in other meditation techniques, and (2) has a
superior method of using the mantra.  Three, the statement that TM is
somehow inferior since it's "dualist" confuses the issues.  In
Buddhism - Vaj's Tradition, some techniques have objects, while other
techniques don't.  What matters is the transcendence, regardless of
the initial techniques practiced (and their participation in dualist
objects).  Ultimately, one must carry on in the nominally dualist
world anyway, with full integration.  To be consistent with Vaj's lack
of logic, one could say that Norgu Rinpoche is a "dualist" because he
teaches the "Dance of the Vajra", which is clearly a dualist technique
involving music, dances, and mandalas.  But we would not stoop to such
a low level of ignorance by making that claim, since Norbu can be
accepted (with reasonable certainty) as being fully Enlightened.
Otherwise, he too could be called a "dualist" by coming up with such a
technique.  Fortunately, we (but not Vaj) knows the truth. What's
dualist or non-dualist is something that pertains to the level of
awareness of the practitioner, not whether the main technique has an
object in it.
 In any event, the notion that a technique is inferior since it has
some objects of reflection (mandalas, mantras, etc); is not a sound
theory and certainly not supported by any significant numbers of
Tibetan (or other branch) Buddhists.  Basically, the idea in Buddhism
is that meditation with objects are great for some; while others may
benefit for "non-dualist" meditation.  Again, the term "non-dual" must
ultimately apply to the practitioner, NOT the particular technique
(having an object - say Chenrizig;, or perhaps no object in particular).