On Oct 16, 2006, at 11:12 AM, TurquoiseB wrote:

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hey Turq,

I re-read your post about darshon with Gangaji to make sure

I hadn't missed something.  I think your view of darshon is

pretty close to how I thought of it when I was involved in TM.

I don't really see what you wrote as a new way of looking at

it.  I think many TM people who share the view that you are

awakening to your own nature and the presence of the teacher

is just an exposure to someone who knows themselves in

that way.

Once you have the assumption in place that you are in the

presence of a person who is using more of their mind then

you are, or in a more awakened state, you have one of the

most powerful influences on suggestibility in place, authority.

With all due respect, I think you've missed the point.

"Authority" has nothing whatsoever to do with what I

am discussing. What the teacher in question *says* has

nothing whatsoever to do with what I am discussing. I

am discussing the subjective experience of shifting

states of awareness, which can be present whether or

not one *knows* that one is in the presence of a teacher,

whether or not the teacher speaks a work, and whether or

not one expects it.

This type of recognition or entering the teachers mandala are an important part of dzogchen/mahasandhi transmission in Tibetan Buddhism. In fact it is the beginning of that pathless path. The odd thing is non-dual recognition is in a very real sense, beyond the time and place you "receive" it. I had had formal transmission of the enlightened state from a number of high lamas before I actually had recognition but once the recognition occurred I realized it had always been going on. And actually the first time recognition dawned, it was outside the presence of the teacher who had transmitted it. Now it's obvious as I even approach any of these teachers (even from many miles away) that there is a unified presence around some teachers that makes the waking dimension into a waking mandala. And of course then you become your own mandala, it just naturally occurs. I see Darshan in the shaktipat sense as something entirely different. A different path altogether really.

I also appreciate Rev. Curtis' comments of TM/manasika-japa being more the trance of hypnosis. Like some previous quotes from Dana Sawyer on TM not really being deep meditation I too found that the depth of transcendence was more of a shallow state compared to other, more complete methods. And of course TM is not the who mantrayana, it's just the beginning, so it's not a real surprise unless you're caught up in believing what you were told.