-Caroline

Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 22:19:08 -0700From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: RE: OT: Kitten
QuestionTo: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
I agree.  And not to gross everyone out there's a difference between constant,
runny diarrhea (that could cause dehydration and warrant a vet visit) and loose
stools when they normally would go anyway.  Does that make sense?  If they are
going all the time and it's watery, check for hydration.  If it just happens
that when they do go their stool is not firm, I would give it some time.  Try
the probiotics and pumpkin.
tMelissa Lind <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Caroline,

In my previous post, I mentioned how it took Ashley two weeks to get better
after the antibiotics had made it through. We had an appointment at the vet
scheduled for 2 weeks after finishing the medicine (to take stool samples), but
it turned out that she didn’t need to go in since she was better. If it were me
with the high vet bills that I usually have, I’d wait another week since they
just finished their antibiotics. But, I’m not a vet or an expert. As long as
they are eating and drinking, I think that they’d be okay. But, please don’t
chastise me anyone if this is bad advice—just set me straight!

Melissa

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Caroline
KaufmannSent: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 2:15 PMTo: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: RE: OT:
Kitten Question

I am not sure about their worming schedule at this point- I took them in from
another volunteer/rescuer b/c she was overloaded and they weren't getting
proper care, so she has their records.  All were given Advantage before they
came to me.  I'm pretty sure they got a deworming tho, b/c I know they give
dewormer to kittens even smaller than these and I doubt the other volunteer
would have had them in her house with her other cats w/o first deworming.
Plus, I look for worms all the time and have never seen any.  Do I need to take
them to a vet?Thanks,Caroline > Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 14:05:35 -0500> From:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org> Subject: Re: OT: Kitten
Question> > It could be coccidia or giardia. Both are very common in kittens.>
Coccidia is treated with albon, giardia with flagyl.> > It could be worms, but
I'm thinking you wormed them already.> > On 9/25/07, Caroline Kaufmann <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]> wrote:> > I am down to three foster kittens now as one was
integrated to the on-site> > adoption facility (the pet supply store) on
Saturday. He was bigger and> > totally healthy and getting to be too much for
me because he was the> > instigator and a bad influence on the other ones. He
was a B/W little> > Kittler, so it figures!> > Of the three I have now, they
seem to be having a touch of diarrhea? And I> > don't know what the cause is?
I'm not doing anything different with them.> > They all get fed Wellness Wet
Kitten food and Eagle Pack Holistic dry> > kitten. Each gets about a half of
the small can of Wellness in the a.m.,> > and the same in the evening. When I
leave for work, after they have eaten> > the Wet food, they get the Eagle Dry-
kind of free choice because they stay> > in crates when I am not home, so I
like to leave them with some food. They> > are all drinking water fine, except
for when they tip their waters over, but> > I don't think they go too long
before I am able to get home and refill them> > and it doesn't happen every day
(I just ordered "coop cups" from Revival, so> > these should solve that
problem).> > On their wet food in the am I sprinkle L-Lysine free form powder
and> > Brewer's yeast (and have been doing this for weeks now). In the pm, I
do> > the same, but add a sprinkled on gel cap of Colostrum- about 290 mgs
each.> > I just placed an order for "Just Born with Colostrum" and will be
switching> > them to that when I get it.> > I think, but am not for sure, that
they are June babies and I don't know if> > they are from the same litter- 2
might be, but I don't know for sure. The> > smallest now weighs 2.8 (and I
should not that this is the only one that> > hasn't been fixed yet because it
weighed too little, but now with me, it's a> > little eating and growing
machine!). The biggest- Yoda- the first one I> > took in that I thought might
die (weighed 2.4 lbs and they had him on the> > floor for adoption!?! with a
raging URI!), anyway, he now weighs 3.6 lbs and> > I've had him since Labor Day
Weekend!!!! He's a growing monster.> >> > So they all have healthy appetites
and they are all gaining weight and> > getting noticeably bigger. They run and
play like maniacs (they have so> > MUCH energy! My mom tells me to stop pumping
them full of vitamins and> > supplements!) when I let them out of their crates
twice a day for play-time.> > They are all well now-- it took 2 weeks to 14
days to bust those URI's out> > of them, but I finally did it. I stopped the
Amoxicillin well over a week> > ago, so it can't be that causing the diarrhea?
But now they seem to be> > having soft stools, if not actual diarrhea. Yoda
seems to be having the> > diarrhea more (I can tell with him because he has a
crate to himself and the> > other two share one). My first foster cat- which I
guess I am keeping (!),> > she's 1 now and no longer a "kitten" but a big,
healthy mature cat-- she> > gets the same protocol of supplements, except she
gets fed 1/4 can of> > regular adult Wellness in the am and pm and free choice
Wellness Dry Core.> > She mingles with the kittens now during "play-time" and
she is not having> > any diarrhea.> >> > Does anyone have any thoughts about a
possible cause of diarrhea and what I> > can do about it?> >> > I'd appreciate
some help! I haven't had kittens since I was 10, so I just> > don't know much
about them...> > -Caroline> >> > ________________________________> > Gear up
for Halo(r) 3 and get a $25 Best Buy gift card. It's our way of saying> >
thanks for using Windows Live™. Get it now!> > > -- > Rescuties - Saving the
world, one cat at a time.> > http://www.rescuties.org> > Vist the Rescuties
store and save a kitty life!> > http://astore.amazon.com/rescuties-20> > Please
help George!> > http://rescuties.chipin.com/george> > I GoodSearch for
Rescuties.> > Raise money for your favorite charity or school just by searching
the> Internet with GoodSearch - www.goodsearch.com - powered by Yahoo!>

Gear up for Halo® 3 and get a $25 Best Buy gift card. It’s our way of saying
thanks for using Windows Live™. Get it now!
Invite your mail contacts to join your friends list with Windows Live Spaces.
It's easy!