Me, too.
Great idea re pre-op blood work, too. 
Prayers for Booboo and his humans tomorrow!!
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: MacKenzie, Kerry N. 
  Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2008 4:07 PM
  Subject: RE: fixing a leukemia kitty

  >>>>with Boo's condition he wouldn't want him around any longer than 
  Hi Lynne, I took the comment to mean they wouldn't want to stress BooBoo out 
any more than necessary, as stress depletes their already depleted immune 
system and vet clinic is always stressful. I hope that's what they meant anyway!
  He sounds a real sweetie!

  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Lynne
  Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2008 3:51 PM
  Subject: Re: fixing a leukemia kitty

  I called the vet today and asked that they tell me the absolute best time to 
bring him in so he wouldn't have to wait at all so he's scheduled first at 
8:15.  I asked if I could take him home as soon as he came around and the 
assistant said Dr. Gill would decide that tomorrow and probably with Boo's 
condition he wouldn't want him around any longer than possible.  I said "hey, 
wait a minute here, you don't discriminate against cats with this disease do 
you, like he's gonna die anyway so if it's now what's the difference" She said, 
oh no, we think it's wonderful that you have taken this challenge on.  I'm 
supposed to be at work tomorrow for 9 but I fully intend to stay until I know 
he's out of the woods.  The pharmacy across the hall can tell anyone waiting 
outside the office I'll be late if need be.  If I had my way I'd be there in 
the operating room.  I don't want to make a nuissance of myself but I want to 
know what's going on too.  I also want a CBC done at the time just to get an 
idea of what his blood is like.  My husband and I love this little guy so much. 
 When I go to bed, earlier than Bob, to watch some news, BooBoo follows me 
upstairs and hops on the bed with his little paws hanging over the side and he 
watches with me.  We both like Hillary Clinton by the way.  When she's on I 
swear he is totally intrigued.  He just stares at the TV.

    ----- Original Message ----- 
    From: Caroline Kaufmann 
    Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2008 1:37 PM
    Subject: RE: fixing a leukemia kitty

    If he's healthy now, then do it.  Feleuk cats are prone to cancers- a lot 
of times, that is what gets them in the end, particularly lymphoscarcoma.  
Lymphosarcoma is the most common form of cancer in cats and dogs- feleuk or 
otherwise.  But the incidence in Felv+ cats is even higher.  This is what my 
cat Monkee came down with (found a lump on his leg).  If neutering would 
further reduce his risk of cancer, then it's worth the small risk of putting 
him under but if he is indeed Feleuk positive, then he has double the chances 
of getting some time of cancer.  And it's true that a neuter is a much simpler 
operation than a spay and there's basically no recovery issues- assuming there 
are no complications (unlike the frequent popped stitches that come with 
spaying).  The group I volunteer for is currently working it's way through 
fixing an entire colony of Felv+ feral cats and there haven't been any 
problems.  And they are feral-- which I should think the stress of the 
catching, surgery, immediate release, must be even worse for them, so if they 
can handle it, your boy who's asymptomatic, healthy now that he's with you, and 
getting love and affection, will be fine.

      Subject: Re: fixing a leukemia kitty
      Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 21:33:58 -0600

      Lynne, my friend has all her feline leukemia kitties altered. I think 
one, in 20 years, had a problem.
      At least for a female, our vet believes the stress of the regular heat 
cycle would be greater than that of the spay. And you are right that an 
unneutered male is at risk of certain cancers...and he's already <potentially> 
immune compromised. 

      We had Isabella scheduled for her spay 2 or 3 times and each time she had 
a temp so we didn't do it. When she got so bad that we needed an ultrasound, 
the vet discovered she had hemaclips or something like that which meant she was 
already spayed. Boy were we relieved that we had not put her under and had cut 
open unnecessarily! (The vet had shaved her when we first rescued her and could 
not find a spay scar). 

      I would not be as worried about a neuter as a spay ~ if Boo is otherwise 
in good health and esp since he's not going to be vaccinated now. We did not 
vaccinate Isabella. I have watched a neuter being done. It takes no time at 
all. He won't be under long. I would ask whether they do a reversal and if the 
vet thinks this is a good idea for him.Bottom line for me ~ if the vet thinks 
it's ok to do the alter, I would be inclined to do it. Afterall, I am sure he 
doesn't want a poor result.


        ----- Original Message ----- 
        From: Lynne 
        Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 8:54 PM
        Subject: Re: fixing a leukemia kitty

        Dorothy, believe me, this is weighing heavy on my mind.  He's scheduled 
to go in this Friday.  The vet assured me he was healthy and up to it.  If it 
were a spaying I probably would definitely be worried since I think it is a 
more complicated surgery.  I still have tomorrow to reconsider.  I would 
definitely be happier if his urine were not so strong smelling and I have read 
that neutered cats can be healthier, ie less likely to develop prostate or 
other cancers so I'm really torn as to which way to go.  I do not want him to 
be wanting to go out.  The first night we had him the little buggar went 
upstairs and peed in an unoccupied bedroom and it took two days to clean, air 
the place and get the smell out.  We had his litter box ready but he chose to 
mark this room.  The door has since been closed and he faithfully uses his 
litter box but once the breeding season comes, I don't know what he'll do.  
What do the rest of you think.  Should I hold off on this surgery?  Boo is 
somewhere between 4 and 6 years old, kind of old for neutering but I truly want 
what's best for him.

        Thanks Dorothy for your input.

          ----- Original Message ----- 
          From: Dorothy Noble 
          Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 9:36 PM
          Subject: fixing a leukemia kitty

          I was reading Lynne's postings about her new cat being neutered this 
weekend -
          I just wanted to pass along a little ifo I had received from a 
society in Missouri. 

          I was looking to adopt a FeLV kitty (to be a friend to my other FeLV) 
and I was inquiring about cats that they had.  I asked if they would be spayed 
or neutered prior to adoption and she emphatically said NO.  She said that if 
they were not already fixed, they definitely do NOT recommend t hat type of 
surgery on a cat with leukemia, due to their already fragile immune systems.  
(I chose to wait until I could find one who was already fixed because I 
definitely like my cats to be altered.)

          Just a little food for thought - I would hate to have something 
happen to your friend during a surgery!

          Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! 

    Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging. You IM, we 
give. Learn more. 
  Effective September 1, 2007, we have changed our name to Mayer Brown LLP.

  IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE. Any advice expressed above as to tax matters was 
neither written nor intended by the sender or Mayer Brown LLP to be used and 
cannot be used by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that 
may be imposed under U.S. tax law. If any person uses or refers to any such tax 
advice in promoting, marketing or recommending a partnership or other entity, 
investment plan or arrangement to any taxpayer, then (i) the advice was written 
to support the promotion or marketing (by a person other than Mayer Brown LLP) 
of that transaction or matter, and (ii) such taxpayers should seek advice based 
on the taxpayers particular circumstances from an independent tax advisor. 

  This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use 
of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received 
this email in error please notify the system manager. If you are not the named 
addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. 

Reply via email to