Thanks for that tip re pre-op blood work Caroline.


[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Caroline
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2008 4:05 PM
Subject: RE: fixing a leukemia kitty

pre-op blood work is really important, so if it hasn't been done yet, I
recommend it.  since I have more experience with geriatric cats, our vet
always did it before even considering a tooth cleaning b/c of the risk
of putting an old cat under.  it tells the vet a lot.  we had one the we
decided against the tooth cleaning b/c of the blood work.  another-
Rambo- the one that lived the longest (19), the vet said his blood work
was fine and we absolutely needed to do a cleaning and by then Rambo was
old old and I was freaking out!  I told my mom if he died during the
tooth cleaning I was going to kill the vet b/c he promised, based on
blood work, that is was okay.  I was a mess that day but Rambo came
through totally fine.  Since then I'm a firm believer in the pre-op
blood work.


        From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject: Re: fixing a leukemia kitty
        Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 16:51:20 -0500
        I called the vet today and asked that they tell me the absolute
best time to bring him in so he wouldn't have to wait at all so he's
scheduled first at 8:15.  I asked if I could take him home as soon as he
came around and the assistant said Dr. Gill would decide that tomorrow
and probably with Boo's condition he wouldn't want him around any longer
than possible.  I said "hey, wait a minute here, you don't discriminate
against cats with this disease do you, like he's gonna die anyway so if
it's now what's the difference" She said, oh no, we think it's wonderful
that you have taken this challenge on.  I'm supposed to be at work
tomorrow for 9 but I fully intend to stay until I know he's out of the
woods.  The pharmacy across the hall can tell anyone waiting outside the
office I'll be late if need be.  If I had my way I'd be there in the
operating room.  I don't want to make a nuissance of myself but I want
to know what's going on too.  I also want a CBC done at the time just to
get an idea of what his blood is like.  My husband and I love this
little guy so much.  When I go to bed, earlier than Bob, to watch some
news, BooBoo follows me upstairs and hops on the bed with his little
paws hanging over the side and he watches with me.  We both like Hillary
Clinton by the way.  When she's on I swear he is totally intrigued.  He
just stares at the TV.

                ----- Original Message ----- 
                From: Caroline Kaufmann
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  
                Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2008 1:37 PM
                Subject: RE: fixing a leukemia kitty

                If he's healthy now, then do it.  Feleuk cats are prone
to cancers- a lot of times, that is what gets them in the end,
particularly lymphoscarcoma.  Lymphosarcoma is the most common form of
cancer in cats and dogs- feleuk or otherwise.  But the incidence in
Felv+ cats is even higher.  This is what my cat Monkee came down with
(found a lump on his leg).  If neutering would further reduce his risk
of cancer, then it's worth the small risk of putting him under but if he
is indeed Feleuk positive, then he has double the chances of getting
some time of cancer.  And it's true that a neuter is a much simpler
operation than a spay and there's basically no recovery issues- assuming
there are no complications (unlike the frequent popped stitches that
come with spaying).  The group I volunteer for is currently working it's
way through fixing an entire colony of Felv+ feral cats and there
haven't been any problems.  And they are feral-- which I should think
the stress of the catching, surgery, immediate release, must be even
worse for them, so if they can handle it, your boy who's asymptomatic,
healthy now that he's with you, and getting love and affection, will be


                        From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                        Subject: Re: fixing a leukemia kitty
                        Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 21:33:58 -0600
                        Lynne, my friend has all her feline leukemia
kitties altered. I think one, in 20 years, had a problem.
                        At least for a female, our vet believes the
stress of the regular heat cycle would be greater than that of the spay.
And you are right that an unneutered male is at risk of certain
cancers...and he's already <potentially> immune compromised. 
                        We had Isabella scheduled for her spay 2 or 3
times and each time she had a temp so we didn't do it. When she got so
bad that we needed an ultrasound, the vet discovered she had hemaclips
or something like that which meant she was already spayed. Boy were we
relieved that we had not put her under and had cut open unnecessarily!
(The vet had shaved her when we first rescued her and could not find a
spay scar). 
                        I would not be as worried about a neuter as a
spay ~ if Boo is otherwise in good health and esp since he's not going
to be vaccinated now. We did not vaccinate Isabella. I have watched a
neuter being done. It takes no time at all. He won't be under long. I
would ask whether they do a reversal and if the vet thinks this is a
good idea for him.Bottom line for me ~ if the vet thinks it's ok to do
the alter, I would be inclined to do it. Afterall, I am sure he doesn't
want a poor result.

                                ----- Original Message ----- 
                                From: Lynne <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                                Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 8:54
                                Subject: Re: fixing a leukemia kitty
                                Dorothy, believe me, this is weighing
heavy on my mind.  He's scheduled to go in this Friday.  The vet assured
me he was healthy and up to it.  If it were a spaying I probably would
definitely be worried since I think it is a more complicated surgery.  I
still have tomorrow to reconsider.  I would definitely be happier if his
urine were not so strong smelling and I have read that neutered cats can
be healthier, ie less likely to develop prostate or other cancers so I'm
really torn as to which way to go.  I do not want him to be wanting to
go out.  The first night we had him the little buggar went upstairs and
peed in an unoccupied bedroom and it took two days to clean, air the
place and get the smell out.  We had his litter box ready but he chose
to mark this room.  The door has since been closed and he faithfully
uses his litter box but once the breeding season comes, I don't know
what he'll do.  What do the rest of you think.  Should I hold off on
this surgery?  Boo is somewhere between 4 and 6 years old, kind of old
for neutering but I truly want what's best for him.
                                Thanks Dorothy for your input.

                                ----- Original Message ----- 
                                From: Dorothy Noble
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  
                                Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 9:36
                                Subject: fixing a leukemia kitty

                                I was reading Lynne's postings about her
new cat being neutered this weekend -
                                I just wanted to pass along a little ifo
I had received from a society in Missouri. 
                                I was looking to adopt a FeLV kitty (to
be a friend to my other FeLV) and I was inquiring about cats that they
had.  I asked if they would be spayed or neutered prior to adoption and
she emphatically said NO.  She said that if they were not already fixed,
they definitely do NOT recommend t hat type of surgery on a cat with
leukemia, due to their already fragile immune systems.  (I chose to wait
until I could find one who was already fixed because I definitely like
my cats to be altered.)
                                Just a little food for thought - I would
hate to have something happen to your friend during a surgery!

                                Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.


                Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant
messaging. You IM, we give. Learn more.


Connect and share in new ways with Windows Live. Get it now!
Effective September 1, 2007, we have changed our name to Mayer Brown LLP.
IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE. Any advice expressed above as to tax matters was 
neither written nor intended by the sender or Mayer Brown LLP to be used and 
cannot be used by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that 
may be imposed under U.S. tax law. If any person uses or refers to any such tax 
advice in promoting, marketing or recommending a partnership or other entity, 
investment plan or arrangement to any taxpayer, then (i) the advice was written 
to support the promotion or marketing (by a person other than Mayer Brown LLP) 
of that transaction or matter, and (ii) such taxpayers should seek advice based 
on the taxpayers particular circumstances from an independent tax advisor. 
This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of 
the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this 
email in error please notify the system manager. If you are not the named 
addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.

Reply via email to