  From: Caroline Kaufmann
  To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
  Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2008 1:37 PM
  Subject: RE: fixing a leukemia kitty

  If he's healthy now, then do it.  Feleuk cats are prone to cancers- a lot of
times, that is what gets them in the end, particularly lymphoscarcoma.
Lymphosarcoma is the most common form of cancer in cats and dogs- feleuk or
otherwise.  But the incidence in Felv+ cats is even higher.  This is what my
cat Monkee came down with (found a lump on his leg).  If neutering would
further reduce his risk of cancer, then it's worth the small risk of putting
him under but if he is indeed Feleuk positive, then he has double the chances
of getting some time of cancer.  And it's true that a neuter is a much simpler
operation than a spay and there's basically no recovery issues- assuming there
are no complications (unlike the frequent popped stitches that come with
spaying).  The group I volunteer for is currently working it's way through
fixing an entire colony of Felv+ feral cats and there haven't been any
problems.  And they are feral-- which I should think the stress of the
catching, surgery, immediate release, must be even worse for them, so if they
can handle it, your boy who's asymptomatic, healthy now that he's with you, and
getting love and affection, will be fine.
  caroline