caroline

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: Re: fixing a leukemia kittyDate:
Wed, 6 Feb 2008 21:33:58 -0600

Lynne, my friend has all her feline leukemia kitties altered. I think one, in
20 years, had a problem.
At least for a female, our vet believes the stress of the regular heat cycle
would be greater than that of the spay. And you are right that an unneutered
male is at risk of certain cancers...and he's already <potentially> immune
compromised.

We had Isabella scheduled for her spay 2 or 3 times and each time she had a
temp so we didn't do it. When she got so bad that we needed an ultrasound, the
vet discovered she had hemaclips or something like that which meant she was
already spayed. Boy were we relieved that we had not put her under and had cut
open unnecessarily! (The vet had shaved her when we first rescued her and could
not find a spay scar).

I would not be as worried about a neuter as a spay ~ if Boo is otherwise in
good health and esp since he's not going to be vaccinated now. We did not
vaccinate Isabella. I have watched a neuter being done. It takes no time at
all. He won't be under long. I would ask whether they do a reversal and if the
vet thinks this is a good idea for him.Bottom line for me ~ if the vet thinks
it's ok to do the alter, I would be inclined to do it. Afterall, I am sure he
doesn't want a poor result.

Laurie