Hi Amy, I'm so sorry to hear about Grrr. I was just wondering about the cortisol shot - what's the rationale behind that?

Thanks and best of luck,

Gloria

On Mar 2, 2009, at 10:08 PM, Amy Ackerman wrote:

Thanks for the welcome & kind words, Gary & Laurie. My vet believes Grrr has lymphosarcoma, but for the time being the diagnostic tools recommended to locate the suspected spinal tumor are simply out of reach financially. Times are lean for everyone, I know; this was a very difficult day, deciding courses of treatment for this very cool, loved cat based on our credit lines. He's having a rough time getting around. Grrr is also, as you may be able to gather from his name, not a terribly good patient. That may be the understatement of the month. He is slightly anemic as well, but his... attitude doesn't make him a terribly good candidate for, say, daily pills, etc. He's getting a cortisol shot to see if it improves his mobility/comfort & an injectable, long term antibiotic (I need to get the drug name) to counter the immune suppressive effects of the cortisol. He eats like a horse, so we're going to try some of the suggested dietary modifications as well. Any one with suggestions for minimally invasive treatments (minimally invasive by this cat's standards is, say, tossing a tasty tidbit gently from across the room, careful not to let it land too close), please share as I continue to dredge through the archives. My other two are keenly looking around for Grrr tonight- should be a fun car ride home tomorrow with all three, plus the mastiff going along to get her rabies vax. I'll check back in tomorrow- good night, all, and thanks again for the support!