Vaccinations scare me.  Not vaccinating scares me.  It is a crapshoot.

You have two cats that were vaccinated against FELV and were FELV+ and
have lived long lives.

We had an older cat who we had no vet records on so had to give the
Rabies vaccination on, by law.  We also gave him a distemper
vaccination.  He developed AIHA (AutoImmune Hemolytic Anemia) and died
after a brave struggle.  Could have been caused by either or both
vaccinations.

On 3/30/09, Gloria B. Lane <gbl...@aristotle.net> wrote:
> I'm one of the ones with old FELV cats.  I have two 12-13 yr old cats,
> that I got from someone else, in Oklahoma actually.  Her vet believed
> in vaccinating FELV cats with the FELV vaccine.  I just spoke with one
> of my vets about that, as I took in a new little FELV kitten.  This
> vet suggested there's no consensus about vaccinations, and there are a
> couple of schools of thought - one being yes vaccinate them, the other
> being no don't. As I recall, she suggested also that it's probably ok
> to do the vaccination, but a small no. of cats may have a reaction.
> Never heard of that.
>
> Be interesting to research this topic.  But the 2 cats I have are the
> only ones I have, that have lived beyond 3-4 yrs old.
>
> Gloria
>

> On Mar 30, 2009, at 5:51 PM, gary wrote:
>
>> There is no problem with giving a FeLV positive cat the FeLV
>> vaccine.  Some
>> would say it was just a waste of money (for the positive cat) but
>> there are
>> people on the FeLV lists that have given their positives cats the
>> vaccine
>> every year and some claim to have some very old cats with FeLV.  I
>> believe
>> one had had a cat that lived to be 22.  I don't think there is any
>> hard
>> evidence as to whether it helps or not, but it won't hurt them.
>>
>> I'm sure you will hear from others who do it.
>>
>> Gary

http://www.rescuties.org

http://www.zazzle.com/rescuties*

http://www.magfundraising.com/rescuties

Help with medical expenses for two very special kitties!

http://rescuties.chipin.com/medical-expenses

"Rather than helping, it's easier to point fingers and say "take  them
first as long as you leave me alone".