From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Julie Dalesio
Gladnick
Sent: Monday, May 31, 2010 11:02 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] needing support

Hi Tad-

Thank you so much for your supportive words.  I am so sorry to hear about
your girl kitty, but it certainly does bring some perspective and reality.
I think I will take your advice and let them be together at least until the
second test; they are so much happier.  I guess my hesitancy is that I don't
think I could deal if they both were positive.  Then again, I never imagined
dealing with either of them facing this.  Do anyone have any info on
pregnant woman or babies and FeLV cats?  I've obviously read that they
should not be together, but does anyone have actual experience?  I've been
finding that a lot of info online tends to be pretty negative.

Thanks again, I feel truly grateful.

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 8:40 PM, Tad Burnett
<tadburn...@vermontel.net>wrote:

> Hi Julie
>  You have come to the right place... We all have a similar story to
tell...
> Your story is exactly like mine.. Two black and white tux kittens..
> Boy was pos and girl was neg... I didn't have room to separate them
> and the vet advised that she surely she had been exposed and she might
> be one of the few that have a strong natural immunity or else she
> wouldgo pos at some time later...
> Anyway
> she got vaccinated but not separated....
>  The 2 were very close and played together all the time.. I remember
> thinking how sad it was going to be when the pos one got sick and
> passed on leaving her....
> As fate would have it the neg one stopped eating one evening after
> only a month...
> Took her to the vet 1st thing in the morning and she got some
> emergenct treatment but she died while still at the vets in the middle
> of the morning....
>  The vet said it was FIP... The point is there are many things that
> can take a cat early... My pos boy lived on for seven years... During
> his life I got hms several other pos kitties and most of the he out
> lived too...
>  There is also a good chance that the 1st test is a false pos... Do
> get that 2nd test and we will all hope for the best...
>  If it were me I would let the stay together... Keep them happy and no
> stress...
> Feed them a good quality food and have a vet that approves of keeping
> a pos kitty and will give you an appointment in very short time if you
> think something is wrong..
> They may have a weak immune system and need antibiotics quickly...
>  FeLV+ kitties seem to know that you are taking special care of them
> and are extra loving in return....
>
> Tad
>

> Julie Dalesio Gladnick wrote:
>
>  Hi there-
>>
>> I don't know if this is the right place, but I am hoping for some
>> feedback.
>> I recently adopted two kittens, a brother and sister.  At 7 weeks, I
>> had them tested for FeLV.  The boy kitty is positive but the girl
>> kitty is negative.  Is that even possible?  They have been living
>> together for 7 weeks; wouldn't she be positive if he was at this
>> point?  I am taking them both in tomorrow so he can be re-tested with the
IFA and she can be
>> vaccinated.  I am absolutely devastated.   I am in love with both of
these
>> kitties and am looking for some hope.  My boy kitty is active and
>> playful, though he has had a little diarrhea today and is eating a little
less.
>>  I'm
>> totally freaked out.  I am keeping the two apart, which is also
>> killing me, because they are such a comfort for each other.  Does
>> anyone know what my odds are for his second test being negative?  Is
>> is weird that she's negative?  If he is positive, do I have to keep
>> them apart forever?  If we have a baby and he is positive, do we have
>> to get rid of him?  I can't even bare thinking of all of this, as he
>> snuggles on my tummy purring while I type.  Any advice, support,
>> guidance is sincerely appreciated.

-Julie