Janine,
I am so sorry about your URI kitties death, too.
I questioned the sub q fluids too, however, after I called the emergency vet
and spoke to them I was doing what my vet told me to do.  If I had it to do
all over again I would not have even attempted it.  The comfort I take in it
is that I didn't get any fluids into her so I didn't kill her that way.
However, she died while I was trying and that is what upsets me so much.
I have a lot of "issues" concerning my vet with this kitten.  I feel like
both vets that saw my kitten felt as though she would not make it so they
didn't really try to help me help her.
I hate feeling as though I need to blame someone for the kitten's death but
I do.  I did things I knew not to do but did them anyway because I was told
to so I cannot help but blame myself.  However, I feel like my vets should
have done more a month ago when I first took my kittens to them so I blame
my two vets also.  Plus, I think the last week was a total fiasco where my
vet was concerned; forgetting to give me the antibiotics and worming too
late and possibly giving to much Strongid to the one who died.
I can live with myself tonight because my kitten was having trouble
breathing before I tried to sub q her so I know I didn't cause the breathing
problems.  She was at her sickest point ever before I killed her and
possibly wouldn't have made it anyway.  However, I will never know now.  She
didn't die on her own accord; she died because I placed her in a position to
where she was unable to breathe.  Therefore, I didn't give her a fighting
chance.  I have to live with this.
Kim

"...Saving just one pet won't change the world....but surely the world will
change for that one pet..."

The top ten reasons to spay and neuter your dog or cat were killed in a
shelter today.