From: Stephanie (Merkel) Sherry <steph.she...@yahoo.com>
Subject: [Felvtalk] Question About Inegrating Positive and Negative Cats
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Date: Monday, December 6, 2010, 2:01 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site and new to the world of FELV.  My husband and I recently
took in a stray kitten, Magic, who had been coming into our yard and on our
porch.  We've had her inside and separated from our FELV negative cats for six
weeks now and love her dearly.

At her first vet appt about five week ago she tested positive on two different
snap tests.  She also recently tested positive on the IFA test.  Magic is about
five months old and is healthy (other than FELV), active, growing and gaining
weight, loves to play and is the sweetest girl.  For now, she lives in our
master bedroom separated from our other cats.

One of the vets at my practice suggested it was possible to integrate her with
our other cats if we had them all vaccinated.  She did tell me that the vaccine
isn't 100% so there was some risk to our other cats.  Right now, I do not feel
like is the option for me as it doesn't seem fair to expose my FELV negative to
cats to the risk of the vaccine itself or exposure to her.  However, I thought
would ask if anyone has gone this route and what their experience has been.
The
vet who suggested this to me isn't the vet I usually see and I am waiting for
my
regular vet to come back to work later this week.

Assuming we don't integrate her with the other cats, she is currently living in
our bedroom.  She doesn't seem unhappy and while it's not an ideal set-up for
us, it is something we could manage long term.  I struggle with what is fair
for
her - to stay with us where we love her so much, but her space is limited or to
find her a home where she can have more space and possibly time with her
owners.  If she stays with us in our bedroom, should we still vaccinate our
other cats as a precaution?

Any thoughts or experience anyone has on either of these issues would be
greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Stephanie