I brought a very young stray kitten into my home at about 6 weeks.  His initial
test was negative and he was vaccinated even though he was a bit too young for
it.  I am in Japan and they have very different beliefs.  (Their first vaccine
is a 5 in one and includes it.)  Anyway, I kept the kitten separate from my
positive cat for about a week.  They continued to have separate bowls and
litter pans and the kitten hid most of the time.  My vet believed that
prolonged exposure was necessary and after vaccination he should be OK.

4 weeks later, he went to get his booster and retested a very faint positive.

My Fuji, another stray who also tested negative initially was diagnosed when
she was one year old.  I do not believe she got it from exposure as she stayed
inside until she was 8 months old.  Then her outside time was extremely
limited.  She did not have prolonged exposure to any other cats and did not get
into any fights. It is my belief she got it from her mom and simply suppressed
it until it came out later in life.  She was pretty sickly when we got her and
we managed to almost entirely suppress her secondary virus issue.

To make a very long story even longer, I actually believe that the kitten was
probably also from a positive mother.  Here in Japan, people buy pets from
shops at a very high price!  Strays tend to be very common and are very sickly.
 It is possible they pay so much for their pets in order to get healthy ones.
While I could blame myself for making the baby sick, I try not to.  I know that
as far as love, affection and vet care he is better off than he would have been
with another family.  His mom and sister are still lose and homeless.

All of this being said, everything that I read indicated that older cats tend
to have a natural immunity.  If your other cats are older and you vaccinate
them, it seems as though they would be OK.

The bottom line is, you have to make your own decision and then be prepared to
deal with the consequences.  We all love our little VooDoo kitten to pieces and
he loves us right back.  He will have the best and longest life he can possibly
have!  I do not regret for one minute taking him in, even as he sits in my lap
with a terrible stuffed up nose and sneezing.  He has been to the vet twice and
everything is being done to get him healthy!

You will get some very strong opinions on this one and most will actually be
positive.

You do what is best for you:)

Melinda, Fuji and VooDoo