From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of
brenda_osbou...@hotmail.com
Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2010 11:44 AM
To: Feline Leukemia
Subject: [Felvtalk] Question on FeLV Treatments & Fevers

I introduced myself and my little FeLV girl Eden the other day. She'd had a
couple of episodes of fever and anorexia last week. She was treated at my
vet's office and was able to come home on Saturday. She's been doing pretty
well but last night we noticed a big improvement in her. She was relaxing
and cleaning herself rather then being curled up sleeping all the time. She
looked so good and I was so happy to see her being pretty normal. I'm doing
assisted feeding with her although she will eat small amounts of food on her
own. And she is drinking pretty well too. The vet that treated Eden was not
my regular vet as he was off last week but I had a chance to talk to him
about Eden yesterday. He doesn't have much confidence in the current
treatments for FeLV and said there are no studies that show that any of them
offer any benefit. He said he's only had one person interested in doing
interferon and it didn't do anything for their FeLV cat. He said he's
willing to try it if I want to
 but I'm not sure if I should pursue it since Eden is now doing so well on
her own. She is still on antibiotics. Her blood work showed low WBC and
neutrophils but her red blood cells and hematocrit were normal so we know
she's not anemic. We had an incident last night with one of our other cats
that completely stressed Eden out and caused a bit of a set back. One of our
other cats, who is completely crazy, just came out of nowhere and jumped
Eden, knocking her over. Eden is a small cat, only 7 lbs, so it doesn't take
much to knock her over. But she was not happy the rest of the evening and
this morning seemed to wake up with a fever. But her attitude is still
great, she ate for me this morning and as I left for work she was sitting in
my husband's recliner just happily cleaning herself. She seems to have brief
episodes of fever that seem to resolve on their own so I don't think I need
to worry too much about those as long as she's still eating and drinking but
I was curious if others
 see this in their FeLV cats too. It also seems that at least a few people
have just automatically started treatment for their FeLV cats. Eden is young
so we feel that she deserves every chance we can give her but I'm still on
the fence about starting any treatment on her. Is there any general thoughts
on when to start treatment or even if anyone should start treatments?

Brenda