If after a few weeks the amoxi isn't working ask the vet about switching
antibiotics to a stronger one.  It'd be nice if they knew where the infection
was.  He probably does have an infection since he has a fever but the infection
came from somewhere, not just a generalized infection.  Since they mentioned a
virus I wonder if they're thinking it's an upper respiratory infection.  Either
way, I guess antibiotics are called for.  I still say maybe an immune system
stimulant since he probably does have FeLV.  Not that everytime a cat is sick
does it mean FeLV but if he truly does have FeLV then it will be extra hard for
his body to fight off the infection.

Prednisone can negatively affect the immune system.  It can be a really good
thing but I've just heard it can suppress the immune system.  Guess you have to
balance out the benefits of it with the potential negatives.  Did they say why
they wanted to use prednisone?  I think it's normally used for some kind of
inflammation.  I imagine they have a good reason for suggesting it but you
should ask to be sure you understand why they want to use it before making a
decision.

I would definitely re-test but the question is when.  You could do the IFA test
right now but if it comes up negative then you would need to do another one
later on to see if the infection has gotten into his white blood cells.  It
takes a little time from the time the virus gets into his bloodstream before it
gets into his white blood cells so the ELISA could be positive right now and
the IFA negative but then positive later.  Or his body may fight off the virus
so right now he could have a positive ELISA but a negative IFA.  Then when his
body fights it off he should have a negative ELISA and a negative IFA.  Myself,
I'd be curious and want to do the IFA test now to know if it's in his white
blood cells already, but knowing you'll have to pay for another one later on
(if it's negative) then maybe you should wait.  Your decision.  Whenever you do
decide to do the test just demand your vet do it whether she thinks it's
necessary or not.  Recently a vet told someone in our rescue that she shouldn't
do the IFA because the ELISA test was the "gold standard."  Thankfully the
foster parent realized the vet was a clueless about FeLV and the two different
tests so she demanded he do the IFA test anyway.  But if you decide to wait on
the IFA test then since Fletch is sick I would treat him as though he had FeLV
and get him on immunoreglin or something like it until he gets well.

The one vet told me that a positive IFA means the virus is in his white blood
cells and there's no need for further testing because once it's in his white
blood cells the cat will not fight off the virus and won't put it into dormancy
either.  He will stay positive for FeLV.  So if you do the IFA test now and
it's positive then you can consider him definitely positive, according to her
anyway, and not do another test later.