If after a few weeks the amoxi isn't working ask the vet about switching 
antibiotics to a stronger one.  It'd be nice if they knew where the infection 
was.  He probably does have an infection since he has a fever but the infection 
came from somewhere, not just a generalized infection.  Since they mentioned a 
virus I wonder if they're thinking it's an upper respiratory infection.  Either 
way, I guess antibiotics are called for.  I still say maybe an immune system 
stimulant since he probably does have FeLV.  Not that everytime a cat is sick 
does it mean FeLV but if he truly does have FeLV then it will be extra hard for 
his body to fight off the infection.
Prednisone can negatively affect the immune system.  It can be a really good 
thing but I've just heard it can suppress the immune system.  Guess you have to 
balance out the benefits of it with the potential negatives.  Did they say why 
they wanted to use prednisone?  I think it's normally used for some kind of 
inflammation.  I imagine they have a good reason for suggesting it but you 
should ask to be sure you understand why they want to use it before making a 
I would definitely re-test but the question is when.  You could do the IFA test 
right now but if it comes up negative then you would need to do another one 
later on to see if the infection has gotten into his white blood cells.  It 
takes a little time from the time the virus gets into his bloodstream before it 
gets into his white blood cells so the ELISA could be positive right now and 
the IFA negative but then positive later.  Or his body may fight off the virus 
so right now he could have a positive ELISA but a negative IFA.  Then when his 
body fights it off he should have a negative ELISA and a negative IFA.  Myself, 
I'd be curious and want to do the IFA test now to know if it's in his white 
blood cells already, but knowing you'll have to pay for another one later on 
(if it's negative) then maybe you should wait.  Your decision.  Whenever you do 
decide to do the test just demand your vet do it whether she thinks it's 
necessary or not.  Recently a vet told someone in our rescue that she shouldn't 
do the IFA because the ELISA test was the "gold standard."  Thankfully the 
foster parent realized the vet was a clueless about FeLV and the two different 
tests so she demanded he do the IFA test anyway.  But if you decide to wait on 
the IFA test then since Fletch is sick I would treat him as though he had FeLV 
and get him on immunoreglin or something like it until he gets well.
The one vet told me that a positive IFA means the virus is in his white blood 
cells and there's no need for further testing because once it's in his white 
blood cells the cat will not fight off the virus and won't put it into dormancy 
either.  He will stay positive for FeLV.  So if you do the IFA test now and 
it's positive then you can consider him definitely positive, according to her 
anyway, and not do another test later.

“I am not interested to know whether vivisection produces results that are 
profitable to the human race or doesn’t….the pain which it inflicts upon 
unconsenting animals is the basis of my enmity toward it, and it is to me 
sufficient justification of the enmity without looking further.” – Mark Twain

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 20:14:56 -0500
From: marciabmar...@gmail.com
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Fletch

Fletch was born with microphalmia,,one of his eyes was completely covered by a 
membrane and the other one he had limited sight. From what I have read some of 
these cats will go completely blind. And I can tell from the way he is acting 
that he has gone blind. He Is afraid at every little move. I'm hoping he 
eventually gets used to it. He knows this house so well, that he knows where 
everything is. 
The reason that he is on amoxi is that when I took him to the vet he had a temp 
of 105. They said he has some sort of infection that we need to get under 
control. He said that it isnt the virus that is making fletch feel sick but the 
infection he has. So he told me to keep him on it for three weeks. Yesterday 
when I saw the other vet (at the same office) she told me he could stay on it 
if he needed to.. So that's where I'm at....open for suggestions.  Oh, today I 
got my liquid b complex and started him on that.
thanks guys
oh I turned 59 in July(-:

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 4:01 PM, Lorrie <felineres...@frontier.com> wrote:

On 08-24, Marcia Baronda wrote:

>    Fletch  is exceptionally grouchy today. He swatted at one of the other
>    cats  today  and  continually  growls  at  me(-;  I asked my vet about
>    retesting  him  and  she  said  it's  not necessary since he's already
>    cliically  ill. I know after reading everything all of you have posted
>    that  you  don't  agree.  that is why I am here, for outside help from
>    people  that  have  years  of  experience  with  this. I will have him
>    retested  of  course. Do you think his grouchiness is from not feeling
>    well,  or  could  he have some neurological issues? I know that he has
>    totally  lost his sight and I'm sure that is really scary to him, poor
>    little  guy.He's  om  amoxicillin  and they said he could stay on that
>    indefinitely.   Do  you  agree?  She  also  said  we  could  try  some
>    prednisone. What are you opinions??

I think being blind would be terribly frightening for him until
he adjusted to it.  Also being in pain and sick would make him
irritable.  Can he be in a quiet room by himself for awhile?


Felvtalk mailing list


Marcia Baronda
Baronda Supplies & Service, Inc.
1550 S 2700 Rd.
Herington, Kansas 67449
Phone: 785-466-2501
Cell:    785-230-6499

_______________________________________________ Felvtalk mailing list 
Felvtalk mailing list

Reply via email to