Thanks Craig. Most informative.

GJB

On Saturday, January 26, 2019, 5:02 PM, Craig Parmerlee <cr...@parmerlee.com>
wrote:

Here are some observations about each of the plug-in examples.  Let me
stipulate that the Finale plug-ins might provide some unusual visual
results that aren't directly matched by Dorico, so I am not claiming
equivalence on any of these.

1. Copy arbitrary material regardless of barlines, etc.  This is
inherent in Dorico, and I think you would find this far more productive
in Dorico.  Dorico does not provide any drag-and-drop, but the cut and
paste model is extremely powerful.  It even allows 1-to-many pasting,
and pasting to discontinuous staffs and so on.  Also there is a very
powerful capability where you can select any material, press "R" and it
automatically duplicates the material placing it immediately to the
right of the selection, which still expressing everything correctly with
no touch-up required.

2. Mass relink.  This is inherent in Dorico.  Moreover, Dorico seems to
make better assumptions about when to automatically reflect score
changes in parts and vice versa.

3. Autocreate MM rests.  This is always automatic.  You never "create"
any MM rests.  It is inherent. There are some options for visual appearance.

4. Multiple sets of not spacings.  I am not aware of anything line this
in Dorico.  Of course you can edit the parts directly to apply any
spacing you need.

5. Designate certain text as titles. There is only "text" and "system
text" in Dorico.  There is no hierarchy of text objects, such as an
outline mode in a word processor.  However, you have a great deal of
control over the formatting of any text object and you can freely copy
and reuse any of your text items.  So if you have a text object
formatted as a "title", you can copy that anywhere else you need a
similar title to appear.  Moreover, Dorico has a higher level of
abstraction for these situations.  Your file can consist of multiple
"flows", which are like movements. And each flow can have a title, with
options how and when to display those titles.

6. Mass align hairpins.  There is no mass alignment, but if you have a
4-bar passage, you can enter the dynamic as "Fp<mp>ppp" and Dorico will
enter that dynamic as a group that is all aligned.  And if you copy that
group to other staves, they will be aligned (taking in to account the
collisions).  So if you enter it properly, you never need to go back and
fix it.  Dorico moves the groups around (maintaining the alignment) as
needed even if the music changes to create a new collision.

7. Various fixes.  Most of these situations just don't happen in
Dorico.  And you have complete control over the rhythmic position and
length of every object, so anything like this is very easy to fix.

8. Movements.  See 5 above.  it is far more elegant than in Finale.  And
flows have other uses.  I often keep extra flows in my score as
scratchpads or two different versions of a harmonization until I am sure
I have it right.  I just did a big band chart that has a 16-bar a
cappella fugue in 4 voices.  That was very tedious as I am not a fugue
person, so I created a separate flow just for those 16 bars.  That
16-bar flow was reduced to only 4 players plus a chord playback staff so
I could get all the counterpoint working.  Once that was right, I coped
those 16 bars to the main flow and expanded the voices to let that
section build over the 16 bars.  This is all very straightforward under
Dorico.  You can certainly do something like that with Finale
programming a view, but I'd probably put the scratchpad in a completely
separate MUSX file.  Either way works, but it is much faster in Dorico
because all of the above is just a few mouse clicks in setup mode.

9 Transfer page payout.  There is no template capability in Dorico,
which is a bit of a weakness. However, if you have a score set up the
way you like it, you can easily copy that and use that as the basis for
your new project. And you can do that after the fact by exporting your
flow(s) from one score and importing the flow(s) into the score that has
the layout your want.  And as far as parts go, Dorico has a "master
page" structure where you can develop a master page that can be used by
any number of parts.  This area of Dorico is rather complicated, but
looks very powerful.  I haven't used it much.

10.  TG Tools.  No questions on this one.

11. Proportionately scale staffs.  I don't know about this.  There are
lots of options in Dorico for this kind of thing, but I don't know that
any of them do what you want here.

12. Modeless plug-in problem.  I don't know about that.  There aren't
any plugins in Dorico.  You can, however, do hot key assignments for any
of hundreds of commands. And there are folks who are using the "Stream
Deck" keypad to really boost their productivity.  I haven't done that
yet.  That's not a direct replacement for plug-ins, but enables a
different kind of workflow that may enable even greater productivity
than you get from plug-ins.

I'm not trying to sell anybody on Dorico.  I am only trying to explain
how it differs from the architecture of the older programs.  It really
is a different experience.  You would develop a different workflow, and
anybody deeply invested in the plug-in style of operation may find that
difficult to change.  To me, it boils down to the apparent fact that
Finale is not going to be improved very much from this point.   If
Finale is doing what one needs, then stick with it. Dorico is radical in
some respects.  It isn't for everybody.

---