It seems that Dorico did not include some (maybe all) text expressions in its import.  When I ran the XML into Finale, the text expressions show but mostly collide with other elements.  Dorico doesn't really have "text expressions" in the same sense that Finale uses them.  With Dorico, you have regular text (single staff) and system text (applies to all staves).  Dorico also has tempo markings and playing techniques.

The things people put into text expressions in Finale would go either into regular text , tempo markings or playing techniques with Dorico, and evidently there is no such conversion in the XML importer.  But had those elements been brought in through the import, they would not have collided. By default, nothing collides.  You can forcibly make elements collide by manually placing them in ENGRAVE mode, or you can disable the "avoid collisions" property.  I have heard of some cases where this doesn't perfectly avoid collisions, but I have never seen any collisions.

There is a downside, however.  I tend to use a lot of rehearsal marks, and I also often include either a tempo marking or system text at the same barline where the rehearsal mark is placed.  For example, rehearsal mark C might also say "Trumpet solo".  In those cases, the collision avoidance seems to stack these elements vertically.  It doesn't collide, but it may place the staffs very far apart in order to avoid the collision.  I can move the elements manually to relieve the stacking, but the staffs remain spaced apart.  They don't adjust themselves after I relieve the stacking.  So I may have to adjust some of the staff spacing manually.

But a key point is that by default, the parts are all completely playable, even if not ideally laid out. If you are racing to get a piece done in time for a rehearsal, you don't have to leave an extra hour or two to fiddle with parts just to make them playable.

On 1/30/2019 12:08 AM, Raymond Horton wrote:
Impressive results! Thanks for sharing!

​Raymond Horton
Composer, Arranger
Minister of Music, Edwardsville (IN) United Methodist Church
Retired Bass Trombonist, Louisville Orchestra, 1971-2016
Visit us at

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019, 10:28 PM Craig Parmerlee < wrote:

OK, here are the results

I emphasize I did ZERO EDITING.  All I did was:

1) Open Dorico
2) Import your XML file
3) Print score
4) Print parts

That all took about i minute.  I chose to use Dorico's internal PDF
creator which is really very nice and extremely fast.  But one
shortcoming is that it creates a separate PDF for each part, so I also did

5) Opened PdfSAM Visual to merge all the parts into one file.  That took
about 3 minutes -- longer than it took to create the parts in Dorico.

The layouts aren't perfect.  I'd certainly edit them a little.  But a
key point is that in almost every case, the parts are usable without any
editing if you are in a big rush to get something out for rehearsal.

On 1/28/2019 4:21 PM, Thomas Schaller wrote:
Hi Craig,
thanks for volunteering to do a little test.
Here is an orchestra job that has a bit of everything, yet not long.
Not sure what will translate, maybe there is too much information in
this XML file.
Let me know if I should prepare it differently to get a better result
(for test purposes).
But I’m really anxious to see how little one needs to touch to get a
good result.
Thanks again,
PS - I took out title and credits and copyright to be on the safe side.

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
Finale mailing list

To unsubscribe from finale send a message to:
Finale mailing list

To unsubscribe from finale send a message to:

Finale mailing list

To unsubscribe from finale send a message to:

Reply via email to