I’m now using Dorico for all new projects. Dorico’s ability to have distinct
pieces in one file (‘flows’) that can be reordered saves so much time. For each
layout, these can be set to continue on the same page or to start a new page,
both with header information. Dorico handles cue superbly. The lengths of these
can be dragged to extend or reduce, all correctly labelled. Dorico handles
doubling players well, with automatic labelling. Dorico is also strong for
percussion writing. You can easily switch from a combined set to individual
instruments, because the underlying music representation is distinct from the
form of it on the page.

Dorico has some annoyances. IMO more engraving decisions should auto-propagate
to parts. This is easily dealt with, but can catch you out. Sometimes cutting
ties is the quickest method to enter dynamics etc. This ‘reversing’ always
feels uncomfortable. Undo/redo includes every selection and click that you
make. I hate this, but it does make me careful to think things through rather
than to do and undo. Dorico jumps around more than I understand to focus the
screen on something I don’t want to see (or worse I don’t immediately know
where I am). Conversely, I can’t reliably find a way to link focus between
score and parts.

My biggest hassle in Dorico is its inability to set bars-per-system over a
specified range of bars. You can do this one system at a time, but it’s
annoying that something so simple in Finale takes longer in Dorico. However,
Dorico’s first guess at system layout is far better than Finale’s.

On the whole, Dorico’s downsides lose me minutes, but its upsides gain me days.

Steve Parker