>  I can move the elements manually to relieve the stacking,
but the staffs remain spaced apart.  They don't adjust themselves after
I relieve the stacking.  So I may have to adjust some of the staff
spacing manually.

Hi Craig.

I am working in some projects with Dorico and in cases like that I move the
texts ("Trumpet solo" o "legato") in Write Mode in order to assign them to
other elements (for instance, a neighbour note or rest). It makes the
staves to respace automatically. Then, in Engraving Mode, I move the text
to the proper place. Generally, no further manual staff spacing is required.

Kind regards.

Gerardo Delgado
Musician, Music Editor, Conductor
Buenos Aires, Argentina