----- Original Message -----
From: "Curtis L. Olson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "FlightGear developers discussions" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 3:34 PM
Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] ACScript RFC (or FGScript ??)

> John Barrett writes:
> > Why is an interactive session "by default" generating AI aircraft
without a
> > loaded scenario to control those aircraft ?? The "server" should be
> > the scenario. Having an airport spawn aircraft just because someone is
close
> > by the airport should not be a default behavior of the simulator.
>
> These are the sorts of things you might want/need if you are not
> connected to a MMP server ... as I understand it, the current focus of
> everything in the src/ATC/ directory is a stand alone fictitious
> environment not connected to any MP server.
>
> > Similarly, if a client is acting as a adjunct to a server, it will
> > need a scenario loaded from the command line, or provided by the
> > server to control its spawning and behavior of AI planes. Without a
> > scenario loaded, or a connection to a server, its just you all by
> > your lonesome (which I had thought was the situation given my
> > experience loading up FG and flying around with the default
> > settings)
>
> I suppose we can divide the work up and draw the line any place we
> like.  But my preference would be to control all the AI traffic in the
> server and not burden the core FlightGear code with it.  Note that
> unless you are < 100' away from an airplane, there is no way you are
> going to be able to tell if it's running real flight dynamics, or some
> ultra-simple non-physics based engine that just moves the airplane
> along some predetermined route.  99.9999% of the time in civilian
> aviation, you should never get that close to an airplane.
>
> Regards,
>
> Curt.

I'll ask again -- why "by default", why not "under control of a loaded
scenario which defines the planes and patterns" -- then having ai planes is
a question of "did I load a scenario", even a generic one that states "for
any airport, when a plane gets close, spawn 3 planes doing touch-n-go
circuits"