Hello again,

sorry, I didn't read your whole mail, so my response
was probablly not relevant to your problem.

> Going back to my original query.  My little experiment to pan the view
> frustum side to side using this technique worked great in all the
> external views, but totally screwed up the outside world in view #0 ...
> I ended up with extreme overzoom and no panning relative to the outside
> scenery, but the 3d cockpit worked ok and panned as I was hoping it would.

This is just a wild guess, but it might have to do with the near-far
clipping planes being changed for the scenery rendering in renderer.cxx.
This results in an update of the frustum parameters, so maybe you will need to
reapply your viewport modifications at different stages?

Manuel