Sorry. I wasn't specific enough (and figured SOMEONE would question what I
wrote). That delay is not counting the aircraft aerodynamic delay. In the
simulation world, we set up special code for this testing, so that it takes
the same path through normal code, it just bypasses the aerodynamic effects
and recognizes the step control input, and generates a step output on the
three output systems (instruments, visual, motion).

Typically, one would also do a throughput analysis, if you have separate
computers for various functions (you do on real sims). You look at the
control input happened at t=0, but ooo, it just missed a data transfer from
the control loading computer to the host, so you have to wait for the next
one to come along. The host recognizes the input and generates the output,
and sends the signal out to the I/O, visual, and motion computers. Those
transfers are usually initiated by the host at the end of a frame, but if
they aren't you have to play the game of ooo, I just missed that data
transfer, I have to wait for the next one to happen, all the time adding up
the delays. If the theorical delay is too great, you don't have a good
architecure for something (data transfer, host execution, whatever) and may
have to make some changes. Your theorical value should be less than the 150
or 300 msec, since this is the worst that it's allowed to be. You won't
always hit the theorical number that you calculate, but hopefully you are
less some of the time.

Bill