On Sunday 13 May 2007, Jonathan Wagner wrote:
> Maik,
>
> These are not "dogfight-only" problems.  These are multiplayer problems
> which currently are not addressed well in the current multiplayer
> implementation.  On the public servers with high latency, multiplayer
> flight can be choppy as a plane in your view "magically" disappears from
> your right view and reappears in your left view.  Also, syncing
> positions across the entire network allows proper collision detection.
> I know it is fun to fly the Rascal or some small plane inside another
> player's Boeing 737, but it is not realistic which seems to be the focus
> of zeal in this project.
>
> Having proper collision detection would allow realistic damage and
> system failures.  In the example above, if the Rascal were to fly into
> an aileron on the left wing it is likely that the Rascal would be
> destroyed, but the 737 would only lose operation of the left aileron.
> The 737 would not be in a desirable situation, but with sufficient
> piloting skills would be able to land safely anyway.

I do not like syncing positions across the network. Because you do usually not
have any latency you can rely on.

The current implementation tries to make the best of that information that is
available from an other multiplayer.
Collision detection can happen at a relatively low rate I think.
But objects like the carrier where a tight coupling between the aircraft and
the FDM(s) must be done can be a huge problem in high latency environments.

In low latency environments this will all work well ...

   Greetings

          Mathias