On Monday 14 May 2007 04:38, Stuart Buchanan wrote:
> If what you are suggesting is that to use MP, we will have to run the FDM
> on a server and accept a much lower refresh rate on the client, then I
> don't think that is acceptable as it will make the civil MP experience
> much worse.

This isn't as big a deal as many have advocated.  There's no requirement that
the FDM server has to be run at a central location.  The server can be run on
the client machine as well, serving FDM functions to the client only, and
latency wouldn't be an issue at all.

>From what I can see, a FDM server brings in tremendous potentials to
Flightgear, whereas enhancement to the present architecture would offer
little.  For example, to enable multiple users to fly a single aircraft,
there must be some sort of server to recieve inputs from multiple locations
and to multicasts FDM outputs.  There's no reason why one would want to hack
a client to make it do the jobs of a server when this can be very easily
implemented if a dedicate FDM server is present.

> My conclusion is that the dog-fighting MP protocol (using a server FDM) is
> going to have to be completely separate from the civil MP protocol (usign
> a client FDM).
>
> -Stuart

That's an absolutely awful idea.  You will end up with two development
branches to keep track of, and inevitibly the more "popular" protocol would
end up being much more advanced than the less "popular" one.

Ampere