On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 12:38 +0000, Martin Spott wrote:
> I'm feeling slightly uneasy with the current state because people don't
> get any jetways at all if they disable the flag in order to preserve
> performance.  Personally I'd prefer a solution which keeps static
> jetways and just disables the animation if people feel like the need
> to.

That sounds like a good idea. But it _might_ still cause FPS impacts.
Will have to run some tests later.

On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 12:38 +0000, Martin Spott wrote:
> While I'm at it, I'd like to point to another, presumably more severe
> issue: The elevation of every of the animated jetways is hardcoded into
> the respective 'ICAO.jetway.xml' files.  Now take into account that
> ground elevation is subject to change with almost _every_ rebuild of
> the corresponding region and airfield surface ....
> >From my perspective this calls for a more considerate solution.

The only solution I can think of is to remove the elevation setting and
use Nasal to calculate the elevation for each jetway's
longitude/latitude. The only problem with that is that the calculations
would take into account the terminal buildings, which would cause
jetways appearing on top of the terminal roofs.

...however, I just had another idea. Making the elevations _relative_ to
the terrain instead of absolute. That means the current definition files
will have to be changed, but I can automate that with a script easily
enough. That also means I have to update my FG 2.0.0 version.