Alan Kay wrote:
Hi Loup

As I've said and written over the years about this project, it is not
possible to compare features in a direct way here.

Yes, I'm aware of that.  The problem rises when I do advocacy. A
response I often get is "but with only 20,000 lines, they gotta
leave features out!".  It is not easy to explain that a point by
point comparison is either unfair or flatly impossible.

Our estimate so far is that we are getting our best results from the
consolidated redesign (folding features into each other) and then from
the POLs. We are still doing many approaches where we thought we'd have
the most problems with LOCs, namely at "the bottom".

If I got it, what you call "consolidated redesign" encompasses what I
called "feature creep" and "good engineering principles" (I understand
now that they can't be easily separated). I originally estimated that:

- You manage to gain 4 orders of magnitude compared to current OSes,
- consolidated redesign gives you roughly 2 of those  (from 200M to 2M),
- problem oriented languages give you the remaining 2.(from 2M  to 20K)

Did I…
- overstated the power of problem oriented languages?
- understated the benefits of consolidated redesign?
- forgot something else?

(Sorry to bother you with those details, but I'm currently trying to
 convince my Boss to pay me for a PhD on the grounds that PoLs are
 totally amazing, so I'd better know real fast If I'm being
 over-confident.)

Thanks,
Loup.

Cheers,