Matthew,

Yes, we're all entitled to a little ranting now and then.  So I'll rant
a little, and end with a few practical suggestions.

As to who's in charge:  Arved is the man, but Arved has recently started
a new job, so you can imagine what his current situation is.
 Nonetheless, he is preparing a new maintenance release at this time.
 He is also concurrently involved in the design of the C/C++ version.
 Keiron is leading the redesign effort against the current code base
with Karen heavily involved.  Tore is the reference for all things
fontish.  That group is our active expertise on the current and
immediate future code base.  There are others who have worked on the
code and documentation, e.g. Kelly and of course James Tauber, but who
are not currently active.  Bernard is the rtf guru, and he is looking at
the integration of his rtf work into the project.  My apologies to those
I have missed.  I am looking at some alternative ways to approach the
design, and that, as far as current users are concerned, makes me
completely useless.

Given that the available time of contributors is limited, and that that
availability can change dramatically and unpredictably, mapping out
timetables is a demoralising business.  It has been attempted, but the
actual results have varied so far from the predicted that I think we are
all gun-shy.  A large part of the difficulty is that this particular
problem has not been solved by this group before.  In that sense it is
uncharted territory.  I saw an old movie about Christopher Columbus a
while ago.  He is back in the Spanish court and one of his enemies makes
disparaging remarks about what a trivial matter it is to sail to the New
World.  Frederick March (Columbus) picks up a boiled egg and asks the
bloke if he knows how to stand the egg on its end.  The guy and the King
and a few others attempt to balance the egg, unsuccessfully.  Columbus
raps the blunter end on the table, crushing the air sac, and stands the
egg on the crushed base.  "It's easy when someone shows you how."

Your comments about the relationship of the users to the makers are not
*entirely* fair.  Yes, users are entitled to expect that bugs and
lacunae in the product will be fixed, without being told to "do it
yourself."  Without non-participating users an Open Source project
cannot expect to be very widely used.  We need to know about user's
requirements, and this group has made great efforts over the time that I
have been involved to respond to those requirements.  However, to demand
that we display a level of "professionalism" (a word I always put in
scare quotes) that I don't see from large software companies, including
MS, is a bit unfair.

This project has a well-defined goal: a fully confomant product ASAP.
 We are at a stage of re-definition.  As has been stated on many
occasions, the existing design has exhausted its usefulness, and
requires a serious rethink.  The result has to be capable of realising
the afore-mentioned goal.  That takes time.  When it is completed, a map
of sub-goals and sub-projects can be drawn up, and a vaguely useful
timetable might be possible.  Keiron and Karen are the primary
references for this, and if they are not drawing up such a roadmap, I
expect it is because they are still struggling to subdue the design.

Keiron has indicated his interest in running some kind of school or
seminar on the redesign for those who are interested, and I hope this
comes to fruition.  Keiron is committed to building on as much of the
current base as possible, so I expect that we will learn a lot about
that base.  This will, I think, be important for moving the project
forward.  Some of you will have noticed that the current CVS branch does
not do a lot.  We need to begin to fill in those gaps, under direction
from K&K.  If you want to help to increase the coverage of FOP, this
will be the way to go.  Keiron and Karen will need to mark out a number
of places to which the toe of the crowbar can be usefully applied, and
then talk people up to speed.

We need some documenters to maintain and extend the web pages, and to do
more detailed documentation on the design and implementation.  I would
hope that we could have two or three active in this area.  The prime
responsibility would be the web pages.  I would imagine that one of the
documenters would do all of the web page committing, but would keep the
others up to date on all of the changes.  If he were unable to continue
with that responsibility, temporarily or permanently, a handover could
be arranged within the documenters' group, and if necessary, a call
could be issued for a replacement member or members.  A fop-documenters
mailing list may be appropriate.

Peter