Without servlets and JSPs, what will your provider allow you use to execute programs on the server--ASP, PHP, or cgi? A pure HTTP server will not be able to activate programs, regardless of what you can compile FOP into. Is the provider using IIS or Apache as the web server?

My thinking, along with Jeremias', is that it would be probably best to somehow distribute/install the Java VM with your application. The JVM is, after all, already compiled into an executable that the server can run. I can't see the reason why you would not be allowed to run the JVM executable but you would be allowed to run another compiled executable instead (what you are trying to do to FOP)--they would both be programs running on the server.

Glen

Manuel Strehl wrote:
Hi there.

I didn't find any post in the last months concerning my point. If it was discussed earlier, I'd like to apologize.

My Problem: My provider doesn't offer a Java VM on the servers. So I'm looking for another possibility to run FOP. I found out (at Wikipedia) that you can compile Java written programs to machine code (e.g., with the Gnu CJ). Well, actually I'm still using Windows and I have no clue where to compile it for Linux.

I am looking for:
- already compiled versions of FOP (for Linux; SuSe, I think)
- any tips or hints how I could use FOP on a server without having a Java VM.

Does anyone have an idea?

Best Regards
Manuel