I swear it's like the Adobe FrameMaker developers do absolutely NO usability
testing, get absolutely NO feedback from existing customers, focus groups, or
anything else before they foist on us a crappy, untested GUI that their
offshore developers implemented in some kind of cultural vacuum.  (Not offshore
culture so much as programmer culture - before any programmers get offended,
there are plenty of exceptional programmers who have a GREAT sense of usability
and customer needs - apparently Adobe hasn't hired any for the FM team, nor any
usability/human factors consultants.)

The programming underneath may be great (I doubt it, with the general fragility
of the thing for many releases now), but the usability if off-the-charts bad.
Like something designed by a bunch of college programmers who have no concept
of building a usable product, but instead think "more is better" so they toss
in everything figuring that they'll have something for everyone, and end up
with such a hash salad that you spend more time jumping through GUI hoops than
you do productive writing.  (Remember what college kids did when word
processors introduce lots of fun fonts to play with - the FM 9 and 10 GUI is
pretty much the GUI equivalent of "ransom letter" tech writing.)

I can remember when FM was unquestionably a better choice than Word for any
serious documentation work.  Now they're approaching parity.  I don't know
about FM8, but when we jumped from 7 to 9, it was all downhill after that.
We're on 10 now, debating upgrading.  We're also moving to a DITA CMS and
Xmetal editor - much less powerful, but it does what it needs to do without
being an obstacle to the writers.  We didn't even consider using FM as our XML
editor, though the transition might have been less of an issue for our writers
who are used to FM.

Sorry to rant.  I LIKE FM.  I'm just so sorry they messed with the GUI and
messed up so badly with 9 and onwards.  They may fix it to be decent again
incrementally, but like Windows 8, they should have scrapped the whole thing
when they realized what a horrible blunder they made instead of turning a deaf
ear and insisting everything was great for so long, when real users knew it
wasn't so.  Credibility gone.  Maybe 11 is better, maybe 12 even better.  Don't
know if I'll ever get to try them.

-- garyZ