Hi Shaun,

Well, for one thing a lot of the items in Mario, for example, wouldn't
have real world sounds. There are flowers that make Mario grow,
shrink, shoot fireballs, etc. I have often wondered since flowers do
not have a specific sound how one is suppose to make them accessible
other than using a beep to indicate where they are or something
similar. There are other items and such in Mario that have no exact
audio counterpart to the graphics making it somewhat tricky to figure
out how to make Mario's world come alive in audio. Not saying it can't
be done just requires some extra work to make non-auditory items
auditory. This is probably a case where designing a game like Mario
from a completely auditory perspective than recreating the classic
game would be useful.

Cheers!