Hi Dark,
Well, I own Monkey Business and I find it a bit difficult to navigate as
well just because when James North created it he tried to use a
sonar-like system to navigate. Cool idea, but not very practical. For
that reason alone I have mottled Genesis 3D after the GMA Engine which
has the features you would want from a 3D FPS style game.
For example, one feature I have always enjoyed in the GMA Engine is
being able to press a key like x and get the direction to every door and
exit in
that particular room. It makes finding your way out of the rooms pretty
easy.
Another feature Genesis uses, that I think is important is being able to
find out if you have visited that location before, and mark spots to
revisit.
Anyway, I am using a lot of ideas from Shades Of Doom to structure my
navigation commands, options, and scanning for the areas. Not just
because SOD has the best commands going, but because I find them very
helpful when applied to the FPS style of game.