 I don't think there would be any licensing involved-
since the game is basically obsolete- and the company isn't making money off
of it, or am I wrong here? That's my main point- if I made a game similar to
this, would I be conflicting with licensing or some such?
End quote

Yes, you could be conflicting with the original authors if your game was
exactly like the original product. The fact it is obsolete and the
company isn't making or selling it any more does not make it public
domain material. it is still guarded under U.S. copyright law.
The thing to keep in mind that a copyright can be held for a person's or
company's entire lifetime, and may be renewed by any surviving
relatives. What that means for people like you and I we will not live
long enough to see the copyrights run out on something we enjoy, and
there is usually between 100 to 150 years before a copyright falls into
the public domain.
That is what happened with me and Montezuma's Revenge. The product is 24
years old, it isn't being sold, and who really cares? Well, legally I am
in the wrong, because according to U.S. copyright law they might not
release the copyright into the public domain until 2084. That is another
76 years away, and I will be too old to care by then.

please send E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]