Hmmm, well I'm not sure on graphics, i'll just have to see when i get there.

about earning money for a jump ship, the prices for fighters are going to
stay the sme aparently, it's only from corvets and upwards that the prices
will increase. i just managed to get a shadow cat (why the heck the you
can't buy a paladin in the solar system i don't know!).

I don't actually find it too much of a problem as a mercienary to earn the
money for a jump ship, but that's because i mix the missions in with bounty
hunting  the sensor screen, and don't buy too many ship upgrades, sinse as
you said the game is much more fun when you leave the first system.

what i've just done, was buy only the mars works combat engine, AND DEFENDER
mK iI ECM, then choose advanced tracking, fast recharge, and tractor beam
for the first few upgrades, though if I've got space i usually get advanced
rewards, which iis possible after fast recharge.

even before you get the tractor beam, I've found pirates are rather stupid
about remembering to flee, provided you keep them busy with missiles and use
the focus beam. Traders flee rather quickly, so the tractor beam is
absolutely necessary before you start on them, provided you only attack
enemy traders, you won't have any criminal problemS, ---- IN FACT SINSE
THERE ARE SO MANY ENEMY TRADERS AROUND, i really don't see a point in the
criminal stuff.

I've found with just the ecm and mars works combat, i can take out an
average shadowcat with the right stratogy, for example a mission targit or
pirate, though usually those high bounty pirates have emp and are much
nastier.

what i do then is choose mainly patrol missions, with the odd ambush or
particularly rewarding search and destroy thrown in, and use the sensor
screen at every oppertunity. when my shields get depleated by taking out
pirates or traders, or when nothing appears, i move on.

that way I've managed to get a jump ship pretty qhickly as a mercenary.

the one thing i don't know is whether it's worth buying cargo management or
not, sinse on the one hand it does cost money, but on the other it can
increase loot from traders.

well, that's the way I do it.

oh btw shadowdragon, if your that far on in the game, maybe you could answer
me a question? which ability do you need in the skill tree to get focus beam
II? I know it's either double speed, mark or emp resistance, but i'm not
sure which, and I don't want to make the mistake of buying the wrong one.

Beware the grue!

dark.