Hmm, that's an interesting strategy. Me personally, I'm an all or nothing
kind of guy, for some reason I go for the super upgrades. And actually you
can buy a paladin in about any system that I've seen, I really have no idea
what the not available thing is unless there's other ships that don't show
up. I know I've seen some ships that aren't on the list, for example the
hellcat and the corsair, I think they're federation spacific ships, so maybe
the not available thing is those ships and they don't show up because he
didn't bother to textualize the ships you couldn't buy. From basically the
corvette up though, I pretty much stole my way through the ships rather than
buy them. It's a lot easier on the purse if you can find a ship with a
fairly weak crew. It can still be tough though.

As for focus beam 2, it must be mark, since I don't have either double speed
or emp resistance. For some silly reason I went over into the criminal skill
tree after I got tractor beam, which I got way too late in the game for my
liking by the way, I like your idea better *grin*. So I'm now at rank
admiral and can't get any further mercenary skills, which sucks since I'd
really like to have emp resistance. Ah well, for another time I suppose.