speaking about that I wander how easy it would be to emulate it as if the games
were like a nes with say all the sounds and music things, not sure if thats
possible but.
At 01:41 p.m. 14/10/2008, you wrote:
>Hi,
>Yeah, taking over Raceway and Montezuma's Revenge has resulted in a lot of
>personal grief and misery for me. I've had my reputation marred, I've been
>verbally insulted, I've been called a thief, I've stayed up late trying to get
>this or that done,  and it has just been one bad thing after another. To ice
>the cake, so to speak, my apartment management had us out of our apartment for
>four months, and unfortunately I didn't have everything with me to work on the
>games. As a result I've gotten the blame for that too, because people want to
>know why the game wasn't finished asap.
>However, on the bright side of this I really think I can pull a couple of good
>games out of the hat. No MOTA won't exactly be Montezuma's Revenge, but it
>still will be a side scroller, will be a treasure hunting adventure, have fire
>pits to jump over, avoid spike traps, lots of baddies to fight, and should at
>least give the person the feeling of a NES or Atari game.
>

>Michael Feir wrote:
>>In my judgement, Tom has found the most fair approach in this tricky
>>situation. It all started out because he wanted to save those of us who had
>>waited ages for James North to finish Raceway and Montezuma's Revenge from
>>the crushing disappointment we faced when he decided to pack it in. That
>>attempted good deed has brought him no end of grief since. Everyone has had
>>to compromise somewhat. We, the customers, won't be getting precisely what we
>>originally paid for. However, Tom is going to give us a new and improved
>>platformer so we'll at long last end up with a good one of those which is
>>fully accessible. I've long felt that this genre would be spectacularly
>>suited to blind people and be helpful to people just getting used to computer
>>games as opposed to a fully 3d adventure. I'm profoundly grateful to Tom for
>>deciding to do this. It wasn't an easy decision for him to reach and I know
>>he has his own dreams he'd rather be working on. Although he has a lot of
>>creative latitude now,
 I believe he would rather work on fully 3d games. Ultimately, I believe we'll
end up with a spectacular platformer as long as we give Tom the patience and
good will that he needs and deserves.

>>Due to this whole episode, I don't believe we'll see any developer put a game
>>up for pre-ordering again. Too much distrust and damage was done to the whole
>>concept for it to work in this gaming community. It can work for the sighted
>>gaming world because the companies producing their games have the financial
>>backing to handle things if projects go bad on them. For us, we're just too
>>much at the mercy of the personal life circumstances of our developers.
>>That's a sad thing because it could have helped established developers
>>finance better assets such as sound effects and music to put in to their
>>final products. I've just begun working on an accessible game which I believe
>>will take me something like four years to create. I'm engaged to be married
>>in around a year's time to a wonderful woman I've had the good fortune to
>>find. Anticipating tougher economics after we're married, I decided to
>>purchase royalty-free music while I still have my own source of income. That
>>way, she's not g
oing to have to sink any of her income into what is essentially my dream. In
total, I've spent a little under $400 on the music. During my last attempt to
create a game, I spent around the same on the SFX kit from Sound Ideas. That
has around 20000 sounds I can legally use. Altogether then, I've spent around
$800 on my dream of creating an accessible game. It helps a lot that I'm
currently single and don't have other financial responsabilities. Most
developers aren't in my somewhat unique circumstances. Unless I ultimately
succeed in creating the game, I'll never see a dime of that investment.

>>What happened to Tom was a stroke of tremendous bad fortune which has had
>>repercussions for everyone connected with accessible games. I believe that it
>>has lowered the sense of trust and solidarity in the community as a whole. It
>>has put everyone more on a business footing but somewhat reduced the overall
>>feeling of community developers could once have enjoyed. This is ultimately a
>>good thing as we'll see a lot less hopes being dashed due to developer
>>burn-out in the future. However, new developers may find enthusiasm for their
>>ideas somewhat more lacking. Less attempts at creation mean less successes as
>>well as less failures. This community can't afford to lose any more game
>>developers for any reason. Games take too long to create and we don't have
>>that many who are known to be working on new games. That's also a sad part of
>>the fallout from this whole episode. Developers are likely to be a lot more
>>careful about what information they release than they were before all this
>>happ
ened. This means less information for Audyssey issues and less community
discussion of fresh ideas that are actually being worked on. Dry spells will
seem a whole lot longer due to this.

>>As members of this community, we likely don't have the ability to financially
>>support new game developers other than to purchase their games once created.
>>However, there's a whole lot that we can do to support developers who we
>>already know about and encourage new people to take a crack at making
>>accessible games. We can be patient and offer moral support while a developer
>>works on a project. An encouraging email can count for a whole lot when
>>you're slogging through the long dull aspects of creating your masterpiece.
>>It makes such a nice change from "When's the game going to be ready?" When we
>>see evidence that people are pirating games, we should take that evidence to
>>the developer so they can take countermeasures. We can also be ambassadors to
>>people about accessible games and help spread word about the games which are
>>out there. Over the past while, I believe I've noticed a number of new
>>members. That's a good indication that we're at last moving forward as a
>>community. We a
lso have at least one new developer working on a project that I know I'm going
to love. A sound-based rpg is certainly going to go down my gullet nicely. It's
Thanksgiving Day here in Canada. A very appropriate time to say a public "thank
you" to Tom and all other developers who are working away. Games are a very
powerful art form and you bring that splendidly to a group of people who
otherwise would once again be stuck on the sidelines. I salute you all and hope
one day to add my contribution to your own.

>>Michael Feir
>>Author of Personal Power:
>>How Accessible Computers Can Enhance Personal Life For Blind People
>>2006-2008
>>www.blind-planet.com/content/personal-power
>>
>>A Life of Word and Sound
>>2003-2007
>>http://www.blind-planet.com/content/life-word-and-sound
>>
>>Creator and former editor of Audyssey Magazine
>>1996-2004
>>Check out my blog at:
>>www.michaelfeir.blogspot.com
>

>---