Hi,
That is all too true. What most people fail to realise is there is a lot of indifference to accessibility, because most people simply aren't aware that we can even use a computer let alone play games etc. Here is a case in point. How many of you have gone to a job fair, showed up for an interview, etc and the person interviewing you doesn't have a clue how you use the computer? If you depend on a state agency like devision of blind services to setup the interview they will lay the ground work letting them know what technology you require as a blind user to conduct your job. However, if you setup the interview, meeting, yourself in my experience the majority of people have never heard of Jaws for Windows, Window Eyes, Openbook, and several other programs we take for granted. I think many of us are so familiar with programs like Jaws, and assume everyone knows about them too. That isn't true. I remember a case in point where I showed up for an interview. It was a short contract job where I would do some programming for a company on a short term basis. The interviewer asked me straight out how i would conduct my job if I couldn't see the screen, and by asking implied I couldn't use a computer as a result. Fortunately I came prepared for the question and took out my laptop and gave a live demonstration on the spot of Jaws and Window Eyes. He was suprised and amazed he had never heard of it before. That's what I mean by people, highly educated, etc just are simply unaware of us and really don't know how we use a computer let alone how they could make something like an accessible vidio game.

John Bannick wrote:
Jason,

Developers don't make their games blind-accessible because:

1. They don't think about it.
2. They work for business people who want to maximize (or even achieve)
profit.

I've been coding user interfaces, including games, professionally for 30
years. It's rare to get any direction at all from management. Usually they
just want to tweak button colors or locations at the end of a project.

And I know lots of programmers. Absolutely zero of whom, with the
exception of this and a couple of other related forums, are even aware of
accessibility issues.

Also. Making a program accessible adds roughly 20% to its time and cost.
Since most projects are late, and most game companies are not even
profitable, ... well, you get my drift.

That being said, some good folks over at the IGDA Game Accessibilty SIG
are trying to address at least problem 1. Mark Barlet at ablegamers.com is
also doing some good industry-bugging.

And there are some good folks on this forum: Thomas, Jim, Liam, Che, etc.
come to mind, who are building good stuff.

BTW. Some current research we're doing suggests that there are probably more
blind-accessible games than motion-impaired accessible, or deaf
accessible, or cognitively-impaired accessible games.

I like Dark's approach. If a game could be made blind-accessible, and the
developer company is small enough to give a hoot, ask them for changes.

Which is not to say you don't have a legitimate beef. It truly sucks to be
locked out of some otherwise good stuff.

John Bannick
Chief Technology Officer
7-128 Software