Sounds like the sort of thing that would turn my miled irritation at
dying into a stream of howled obscenities if I were right near the end
of a level.  My only concern would be that unless the levels were
devilishly complex layout-wise, it would become too easy to remember
layouts and the game would lose some replay value.  Smarter monsters
and more randomisation of tresure would probably sort that out though.