Hi thanks for the info, unfortunately the information about the dll beginning with o does not solve my problems. as when I first installed fs 2004, I couldn't even get the game to run it kept coming up with the standard application has encountered a problem and needs to close box. I went searching on the net, and found apparrantly that dll causes problems with internet explorer so I deleted the file already. after doing that fs 2004 will now start no problem. didn't the guy who did the podcast linked to on pcsgames.net say something about an xml file as well? I am not sure. either way, I got rid of the dll already, and fs2004 is still causing major issues with jaws. so I would appreciate any help. Alex.