You can't button mash in MK anymore and get far.
On Oct 4, 2009, at 8:45 PM, Thomas Ward wrote:

Hi,
Couldn't agree more. I still had some sight when MK first hit the streets and I've always felt that MK was lacking in story line, character development, etc. It appeared to me then as it does now that the story and characters were tossed in as an after thought to support the extreme violence and gory graphics. In other words once you looked passed the fatalities, gory graphics, the games as a whole is rather shallow.

ChB wrote:
I have played both too and I agree with the observatiopns
made.
Also mortal kombat, when it first came out was always about
the visuals, blood and gore factor more so than tekken.
While a good game nevertheless, I think MK sold very good
because it was fun, but even more so  because it had those
gory fatality moves with lots of blood and stuff, which at
the time was not seen too often in videogames.I remember
when the first installment of MK came out, I had still
vision, and I was amazed about the deadly combat with ripped
off heads and stuff you could do.
Overall I think tekken is more about studying the opponent
and his or her weak spots and then try to beat them with
lots of training. MK to me, was always more button mashing
than really trying to get the right combos at the right
time.
chrissy