The one gripe I will say about Namco and SNK is that while the voice acting evolves quite nicely and usually gets better with each itteration, actual sounds don't really change much. Deception had great sounds in terms of MK, and some of those blows were definitely pretty thunderous.

As for voices. well, they've evolved pretty well, and though they sound like they could be ripped right out of an anime, to be honest, most fighting games I hear that have japanese voices usually sound like that. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Chesworth" <scottcheswo...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 3:17 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] tekken versus Mortal Kombat

Sure thing, I wasn't saying that Tekken gets it wrong all the time.
The first game I ever played on the original playstation was Tekken
and it was a total revelation.  The little subtleties back then like
the actual time it took for Paul to pull off that arm breaker throw
added weight to an already brutal sound effect.  Nothing MK had done
up until then came close soundwise.  But for some reason, Tekken
doesn't seem to have developed all that much since those days, the
voices are still very animated style and the detail doesn't really
seem to have improved much, remember I'm talking purely sounds here
not actual control over characters or stories.

I dunno, I'm still not wild about MK VS DC as a game to play, I think
the only reason it doesn't get quite old quite quickly is that I don't
own a PS3 myself so can only play it in snatches.  But I can't bring
to mind another fighting game that is that good going on sounds alone,
so hopefully it's a sign of things to come.

Like I said. I realize tekken isn't the strongest in the sound department. But it's those classic effects that make tekken so cool... for some people.
Some of those punches sound like they could really hurt. I know the moves
and throws have always looked painful... and I can't deny it about the
sounds either. Some of those sounds make me physically reel back. But I do
think Tekken has an advantage since each character has more voice samples
than MK in my opinion, and like I said before, characters in tekken can form
complete sentences in various languages instead of resorting to nonsense
words.