Hi Phil,
Yes, that was my experience as well. Last year, when I was beginning Mysteries of the Ancients, I originally was going to have Cara Quinn cast in the roll of Angela Carter as well as the games narrator voice. She definitely had a good voice for the roll, was fairly decent voice talent, but we discovered using her for the entire game like that was a logistical nightmare. There were several problems. First, when we started out she didn't have her microphone setup properly so we did some test runs until we got the volume right, got it so it sounded good, and got her system set up correctly so what she recorded sounded the way I wanted it for the game. Then, she got a head cold or something and she couldn't do any voice work for me until she got over that. That caused a major delay just because of something that was out of our control, and that set me behind somewhat. Finally, when we got everything squared away, she was over the head cold, her computer was set up, and we were ready to start work her modeling schedule picked up. Since her day job obviously takes priority over the game we both decided it just was not worth the hastle. So I settled on Heather instead. As far as editing goes what files I did get from Cara took quite a bit of editing to get the way I wanted them. I had to trim them, take out any background microphone noise, etc. It was a serious pain in the butt. I realised as you did that using a Sapi voice is much much much easier to work with.

Phil Vlasak wrote:
Hi Thomas,
I think people are confused when you use the Heather synthesized SAPI voice to record what is said in the game. To get a human to sound as consistent in rate, volume and lack of background noise would take weeks if not months of sound studio work instead of the few minutes to have the SAPI voice recorded to sound files. Plenty of people asked where I got the voices in my games so much that I finally made a list of them in the instructions.
I think Heather was voted by a game magazine as the most popular voice.

Phil