Hi Thomas,

Just in case you want to, quieting the sounds during a pause is not that hard
to do.  And for my games that do it, the idea is for like when the phone rings,
you want to tab to a different AP or any thing like that where the sounds of
the game is in the way or annoying.

So for me in VB6 and DX 8.1 I need to declare all of the sound buffers in the
declarations section such as in Puppy1

Dim mg12 As DirectSoundSecondaryBuffer8

So I just copied all of the declared sound buffer variables that might be
playing and pasted them into the paws sub.  I then got the current playing
volume, then set all of their volumes to non audible and put the game in a
pause loop.  Then when a key or button was pressed to resume the game, it set
all of the volumes back to what they were when the initial pause key or button
was pressed.

Here is my paws sub

Sub paws()
Dim pv(18)
On Local Error Resume Next
clk
jkp = 0
say2 " Puppy Pause "
v = -6000
pv(1) = sy.GetVolume
pv(2) = sy2.GetVolume
pv(3) = sy3.GetVolume
pv(4) = aaf.GetVolume
pv(5) = bp1.GetVolume
pv(6) = bp2.GetVolume
pv(7) = bp3.GetVolume
pv(8) = bp4.GetVolume
pv(9) = wind.GetVolume
pv(10) = pengl.GetVolume
pv(11) = pengr.GetVolume
pv(12) = bgp1.GetVolume
pv(13) = bgp2.GetVolume
pv(14) = bgp3.GetVolume
pv(15) = bgp4.GetVolume
pv(16) = bgp5.GetVolume
pv(17) = bgp6.GetVolume
sy.SetVolume v
sy2.SetVolume v
sy3.SetVolume v
aaf.SetVolume v
bp1.SetVolume v
bp2.SetVolume v
bp3.SetVolume v
bp4.SetVolume v
wind.SetVolume v
pengl.SetVolume -2727
pengr.SetVolume -2727
bgp1.SetVolume v
bgp2.SetVolume v
bgp3.SetVolume v
bgp4.SetVolume v
bgp5.SetVolume v
bgp6.SetVolume v
If jkok = 1 Then
say " Press the same button to resume game. "
Else
say " Press the P key to resume game. "
End If
dyke 0.3
diDev.Poll
DoEvents
jkp = 0
clk
hk = 0
Do
DoEvents
If jkok = 1 Then
diDev.Poll
DoEvents
If jkp = 1 Then hk = 1
Else
DoEvents
If g2$ = "p" Then hk = 1
End If
DoEvents
Loop While hk = 0
say2 " resuming "
clk
sy.SetVolume pv(1)
sy2.SetVolume pv(2)
sy3.SetVolume pv(3)
aaf.SetVolume pv(4)
bp1.SetVolume pv(5)
bp2.SetVolume pv(6)
bp3.SetVolume pv(7)
bp4.SetVolume pv(8)
wind.SetVolume pv(9)
pengl.SetVolume pv(10)
pengr.SetVolume pv(11)
bgp1.SetVolume pv(12)
bgp2.SetVolume pv(13)
bgp3.SetVolume pv(14)
bgp4.SetVolume pv(15)
bgp5.SetVolume pv(16)
bgp6.SetVolume pv(17)
clk
jkp = 0
dyke 0.7
End Sub

HTH

BFN

    Jim

If you go out of your mind, do it quietly, so as not to disturb those around
you.

j...@kitchensinc.net
http://www.kitchensinc.net
(440) 286-6920