Hi tom.

do not judge perception of blind people in general by me at all, sinse my spacial awareness is actually worse than most people's, ---- possibly due to some brain damage I suffered at birth.

I have absolutely no idea how to spacially relate one place I am in to another, construct any sort of map, or even basically understand rotational exercises. Frequently when walking around I will perceive an object either by vision, touch or something else, and stil walk into it because my ability to judge distance is so extremely terrible.

I've learnt to get around this by use of memory, and synaesthesic representations of land marks in various senses from visual to auditory to tactile, ---- even smell.

In a game like Shades, I'll simply attempt to remember familiar land marks around the maze, useful sfx etc, ---- I also make use of the block graphics display.

My spacial difficulties are also why I cannot play games with a spacial overview involved, such as solitare, the scrabble style word puzles, and find battleships and mine sweeper tremendously difficult.

I certainly could not play chess without a physical board in front of me on which to constantly check the pieces, ---- by touch and vision.

all this being said though, these problemts are uniquely mine. i've met people with literally no working vision who have amazing sense of space, ---- take for example the blind painter, who could paint entirely by mental representation!

I am in no way an average model for spacial awareness, as when I was born I did suffer brain damage from oxygen starvation, ---- and after living for quite some time believe this is the area of my brain which was damaged.

All this being said though, i totally agree with you about the Gma engine, and find myself quite able to use land mark systems in games like Shades or Gma tank commander, ---- and if your engine works on a similar principle I'm confident I'll be able to make use of it as well.

Beware the grue!